In your blogs, if you write about your personal life, how much information do you share. Do you use real names and places? Do you share pictures? Or do you try to keep details to yourself? I am interested to hear what lines you have drawn for yourself when it comes to posting about your personal life, family, and friends.

Tags: Blogging, information, opinions, personal

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My blog is mostly about my fiber arts, but I do share the occasional family story. I include pictures of family--especially when my kids are modeling something I've knit for them!--and real names (first names, but since a lot of my readers come from Ravelry, they can find my last name there since I'm listed by full name as a designer). It's just not something I'm willing to be paranoid about.
My husband is a cop and is a little freakish about our details - he won't even let Domino's deliver to the house! So I use initials for him and the kids and only refer to where we live in the broadest of terms. So in blogland, we live in Small Town, Texas and regularly go visit Ginormousville 100 miles away. We have a ranch in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, that is six hours away by car. Etc. I use my real name, which is uncommon enough that if someone were to stumble across my blog accidentally they could totally put all the pieces together.
I use my real name and nicknames for the rest of my family. I'm open with the fact that I live in Houston but I don't mention which part.

I try not to mention trips until AFTER we get get back.

As far as personal details -- I tell the general stuff that I don't mind people knowing but I never discuss the EXTREMELY person info.
I don't tend to write a whole lot that is deeply personal, but yes I use real names. I don't talk about my town specifically or location. I guess I have lines but they aren't so clearly drawn. Sorry if that isn't helpful.
Since my blog is my personal blog it's chock full of personal tidbits. And pictures. But I don't use my husband's or kids' real names. Nor do I tell the name of the town we live in just because it's so small.
I never use real names, but I always use real places. My stories are true and that's why I started blogging. Someone has to record this great stuff!

I've made two rules for myself:

1/ Never directly blog about my family in a negative manner or if I do, disguise my MIL as my best friend's MIL for example
2/ If I have something to say about a friend that she/he could be upset with, it's best to disguise them and balance the negative with a positive - or just make it humorous

I do risk being discovered. There are a lot of expat Americans in Paris, but the moms tend to run around in the same circles thanks to a fabulous organisation called MESSAGE.
my blog talks about anything. when its a personal story, i usually just make use of nicknames or certain place, not my exact location or address. in some cases, i refer to them as my bestfriend or a friend of mine, stuff like that. when its something of a local or national event, real names and places are disclosed.
I don't share my children's real names or where we live, places we visit.. I'm very cautious in what I share when I talk about my family.
Had I ever thought anyone other than family and friends would be reading my stuff I might have been more cryptic but by the time I realized, it was too late. And by too late I mean I'm too lazy to go change everything :)
I use real names. Never last names though.
I use my blog name..there is a certain mystery with not revealing yourself through the things you write in your blog withour revealing your identity - well at least, that's my personal take... :)
I am a tell it like it is person. I use real names and faces.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

10/24/14 BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service