I got an email from a travel co. in Asia saying they wanted to run an ad on my blog. Is it common for advertisers whose product doesn't match your content to contact you? Can anyone recommend some resources for more info? Thanks!

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmph. I'd beware of something like this, especially if you are not familiar with the advertisers products and the products are not something that compliment the "content" of your blog.

I suggest advertising agencies like Linkshare.com or Google Adsense. That being said, there are times when advertisers may approach your blog - I've had that happen - and they are legit. If you are curious about this agency, you can always send a follow-up email to request more information about their products. But BEWARE...sometimes these are "spam & scam" as I like to call them :-)
sometimes its spam, I'd reply to them and wait for another reply to see if its a real person and not just a computer generated email. Ive actually been contacted by PR for ads that didn't really match my content, but it was legit and I got paid to do the post.
i always check the links and only accept stuff that is relevant to my users. You dont want to look like you sold out. Buying text links are very common because if you have a good google page rank, it helps THEIR site raise in the rankings.

trisha
www.momdot.com
I agree, I'd be wary of it, but if you respond to them and they seem genuine, then it's your call. I think going after advertising more relevant to your blog would be a more lucrative move, though, especially if payment depends on ad clicks.
Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Great suggestions.
No it's not common. Sometimes they are just sending press releases or trying to get links back to their site to help with search engine rankings.

I rely on Brian @ redsixes.com. He always has answers to my questions or knows someone high in the SEO world who recently posted an answer and gives me the link to read.
Hi,
it is not uncommon at all. It just pulls down one's blog a little, However, I'd suggest dabbing in a little affiliate marketing. Places like CJ.com, Shareasale, Linkshare, Pepper Jam, etc. You can find banners there that will match your content.
Any time I'm aproached by anyone unfamiliar I google "Is a scam?" and I've noticed if it's a spammy place there'll be about 1000 listings saying if they are.
I don't know if this helps, but I stumbled upon a UK site that matches advertisers with publishers. You get a sign-up bonus of £5 plus a flat rate of £3 for each ad you publish on your site.

https://www.matched.co.uk/affiliate/6858365
I am certainly not a guru, but I do run my own 125 ads. I have been contacted by folks whose product doesn't actually match my site. I agree with the other comments here about only advertising anything that is relevant to your blog. That is what is nice about doing your own ads. You can say yes or no to them!

I also do Blogher Ads and I have been happy with their content.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/23/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service