Over the past few weeks, there has been much ado about the raw side of mom blogging. Some are critical about mom bloggers who accept invitations to corporate events and scoff at those who earn considerable advertising and consulting incomes. There is also a growing number of people who wag their fingers at mom bloggers who air the dirty laundry of their children in order to attract throngs of readers.

In a nutshell, there are those who believe selling out to corporate interests is the beginning of the downfall of the momosphere as we once knew it four years ago, when mom bloggers had not yet been identified as a money-generating market and tech-savvy, influential demographic.

What do you think? Do you think some mom bloggers have gone too far and are ruining a good thing for the almighty dollar?

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have read a lot of this over the past week and my comment at one site sums it up for me....

A mom who's creative- perish the thought!

Pimping? well I do love gold and walking with a cane would suit my bum knee from chasing the kids.

Oh just forget it my kids don't need to look back and literally have the story of their life laid out in print.

Connecting with other moms- realizing I am in fact not the worst mom ever- I should be ashamed of myself:)

Excuse me while I put on a apron and cook a pot roast- and fake it.
I think it's a load of crap and I have learned to ignore stuff like that.

High five to Susan's comment:)
Another high 5 for Susan's comments!
I don't fault moms for reaching out -- expressing themselves. Are there rules?!? Nobody told me.
Do you like the blog? Visit it. Don't like it? Don't return.

There truly is room enough for all.
I'm VERY new to all of this but I certainly don't see any problem with making money or getting special perks for blogging. I think anyway a mom can get some extra credit or a little something extra is great. We all work very hard everyday. I have to agree with everything Susan said cause she said it perfect!
I think there is always going to be a hot demographic. Right now, it's moms. I say, enjoy it while it lasts.

HOWEVER, I do not approve of pimping out the kids and their personal information. I never post pics of my kids, if there is a pic of them, you won't see their face, nor do I use their names. I speak in generalities, it's not their blog, it's mine, so the dirty laundry I air is my own.
I agree with this. I don't post pics of my kids and I've given them both silly nicknames. I'm a little too paranoid about that type of thing.
"What do you think? Do you think some mom bloggers have gone too far and are ruining a good thing for the almighty dollar?"

No way! Almost all of the mom blogs I read are smart, witty, real and/or informative. If there is a piece of the pie out there for the taking, then take away!
Agreed with this point when it comes to our children's safety!
If you can make money blogging, more power to you. Much criticism is rooted in jealousy; some may be valid. Anything you write can and will be used against you. Remember that anyone can read your blog; including those you write about.
If you don't like what someone wrote, you are better off ignoring it. I just wrote a post about that; Ambivalence is the Best Revenge
This was in response to a few blog friends complaining about trolls and critics.
I have thought much on this since starting my blog. I agonized over the thought of putting ads on my blog.

I finally realized that I LOVE being a mom. I LOVE staying at home with my kids and I want to journal and share my thoughts on my family, faith and just life.

I think it is awesome that moms have found a way to do this and to make extra income for their families. Plus, many of these moms are also writers by career but have put that on hold to raise children. What a sacrifice that is! So, I think blogging is a great outlet for them to combine being a mommy and a writer.

Women have been writing books and talking on the radio for years about mothering. Swaping stories and advice is as old as mothering is. Bragging on our kids is what we do best. Blogging is just a new medium to do that. I also think it is awesome that moms have a community to feel normal about the dirty parts of parenting.

I guess I don't look at these moms as selling out. I am not sure why others do, but maybe I don't see the whole picture either.

I hate that I have to be cautious about the safety of our family on my blog. But the reality is that it is a scary cyberworld out there. I do share pics because far away friends and family read my blog and know a lot of bloggers who do that not to exploit their children but simply to brag and share how cute they are with friends and family that do not see them on a daily basis. It is a great way to do that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Be a Part of Something Special for Social Good

We are putting together one of the largest projects on behalf of the world's poorest mothers, newborns, and children and need your help. JOIN OUR PRIVATE GROUP to learn more and to get involved.

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service