The first year I homeschooled my kids I used the internet alot!!! Printing off worksheets and planners and all that. This year I have purchased textbooks for the kids to use as they seem to do better with structure and something solid in their hands.

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

Lol, we are opposites! I started out with textbooks and full curriculum (Abeka) and now do more unit studies and make my own lessons from the internet. I do still use Abeka for math, it's a great program if you stick with it.
Lol I just felt that the ink and paper I was going through equaled the price of a textbook so we cut back on that. Although I just ran across lapbooking stuff and my youngest has shown interest in that.
We just found lapbooking this year, too. My 3yo really likes it a lot...talk about putting the hurt on my ink and paper budget! But he is learning and it has provided us with some extra quality time together, so it's worth it. :)
This was our first year homeschooling. I have a 6 year old, 3 year old and 10 month old. We used the internet and library mostly. Did some unit studies and lots of field trips. Our style so far has been pretty eclectic. My son really doesn't like book work or anything too schooly.
I've been homeschooling for about 15 years. We are pretty much unschoolers until high school and now I'm using a more standard college prep type program with my son. We also use Aleks for math and Life of Fred for Algebra plus course work through the University of Nebraska Independent study high school (ds is only 13 and ready to start 10th grade)
My daughter will be 3 this September. She knows how to count to 10 , but I want her to learn the alphabets. Any ideas? Should I just print them out and go over it with her everyday?
I'm a classical HS with a strong bent toward unschooling.
@ Simply Hair - I have heard parents buy their children at 3 flashcards. My sister had some for her 3 year old that had all the colors, numbers to 10, the letters of the alphabet and shapes. Those seem to work well as he at 3 pointed to the card and said red truck. That is also what I plan on doing with my daughter when she turns 3. Hope that helps.
I don't know if I have a style. This will be our first year homeschooling, so we're learning as we go. I'm sure everyone has been there. My daughter likes structure and routine, so we have the whole classroom situation set-up and she likes it. I have curriculum for math and language arts. The rest of our material is a combination of workbooks, internet and various other sources to suit our needs. I may find that she needs more curriculum or she may begin to relax and like it more free spirited.

I'm anxious to find out how we work our first year. I feel after all our schooling attempts that it will be the true test.
We started out strictly following one curriculum but now I do a little bit of everything from workbooks to internet freebies. It all pans out in the end!
You could help her use www.starfall.com

Simply Hair said:
My daughter will be 3 this September. She knows how to count to 10 , but I want her to learn the alphabets. Any ideas? Should I just print them out and go over it with her everyday?
We use the internet a lot. And our public library. I tried to use Come Sit By Me (kinda like Five In A Row) but it didn't work. I bet it will when I get more settled into the whole routine of things, but . . . And then we use BOB books and ACSI math and . . . well, let's just say I guess we'd be classified as eclectic. I use whatever I can get my hands on! And what I think will work for my kids. Here in Alberta we get funding (a specific amount per child) and we get to use it on whatever we deem as educational! Including toys (Lego) and books and library and swimming or dance or music. Most often it's not enough to cover everything we deem educational but it sure helps a lot!!!

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service