What would you differently if you could start your blog all over again?

- register a domain name?
- hire a designer?
- not blog about my family?

What would you do differently?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I was to go back and do a redo on my blog first thing I would do would be to bypass the paid blogging sites where I paid just to be able to write. Now I use blogger and am happy with what control I have over the blog. But it cost me to find my comfort zone.
Started on Wordpress!
I would have started on Word Press (self hosted) right away! The move over caused me to lose a PR rank of a 4 to a 0 and they still haven't updated. I made the change in September

I would have thought more about:

What is my niche?

How often will I post?

Register a domain 

Theses are all things I can do now but now I am working backwards.

Register my domain and I think a more professional well thought out timely blog.  I am so random!

Thanks to everyone who has given their opinions in this thread.  Since I kicked off my new blog a few short days ago, I am finding all your suggestions helpful.  I am on Blogger because I am a Google girl all the way, even have a Google based cell phone. 

Drop by, visit my new blog, feel free to make suggestions.  I'm new at all of this.  So glad someone suggested I join here!!

KY Klips

Susan,

Your response caught my eye because I have heard that wordpress is SO much better than blogger.  I currently use blogger and was thinking of switching!  Help me understand what you don't like about wordpress?! 

http://www.captaincoupon.blogspot.com

Nedra

Susan Lindgren said:

No free wordpress- blogger all the way!

I started on Blogger and then heard most everyone say Wordpress is better, but I'm loving Blogger.  I haven't had problems with SEO, it just takes time and patience.  The only thing I would have done differently would be to be self hosted on blogger....or least drop the .blogspot part of the address......I believe you can do that with Blogger.

Good conversation, thanks!

www.TheWifeOfADairyman.blogspot.com

you can get your own domain name with blogger, but you cannot be self hosted there.

I'm one of the bloggers who wishes I had started on WP, I still haven't made the switch- I do like blogger a lot, my biggest peeve is the way the posts are titled in the irl- it's not good for seo. 

The Wife of a Dairyman said:

I started on Blogger and then heard most everyone say Wordpress is better, but I'm loving Blogger.  I haven't had problems with SEO, it just takes time and patience.  The only thing I would have done differently would be to be self hosted on blogger....or least drop the .blogspot part of the address......I believe you can do that with Blogger.

sorry,  I meant to comment to Wife of a Dairyman- that I love the name of your blog, it's very scenic..if that makes sense, I hear the title and instantly see land, a farm, cows... love it! :)

Jenn R said:

you can get your own domain name with blogger, but you cannot be self hosted there.

I'm one of the bloggers who wishes I had started on WP, I still haven't made the switch- I do like blogger a lot, my biggest peeve is the way the posts are titled in the irl- it's not good for seo. 

The Wife of a Dairyman said:

A few of you have asked why (self-hosted) WordPress over Blogger. The best analogy overall is probably the property one. If you were going to build a house, would you want it on someone else's land, or your own? On your own land you have complete control. You have the possibility of selling it for profit one day, and you're not subject to the whim of the property owner, who may change the rules.

If you're building a business, in particular, self-hosted WordPress from WordPress.org, on your own domain, is the way to go. You'll have the power and flexibility to grow your site, and the results of your efforts will always "belong" to you. This really becomes important when you start to understand Search Engine Optimization, which none of you have yet mentioned in this thread. My latest blog post on the 9 factors your website NEEDS mentions a couple of those factors - and WordPress lets you do them particularly easily.
http://outcomemarketing.com/website-creation/website/
Honestly, I would have used blogger instead of wordpress for the simple fact that I hate that people canot "follow" my blog...I have seriously been thinking about switching over but I am not sure if I want to go through the hassle. Wordpress only offers subscriptions and rrs feeds, but there is no way to allow people to join or follow your blog (ie:google friend connect, facebook follow, etc). I can see the amount have people that have viewed my site, but a "view" can be a random passing click or an actual reader there is no way of knowing..I am not sure if this only applies to free hosted wordpress.com blogs or self hosted as well but it sucks:(

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service