Have you ever written a post, or in my case, a series of posts, that you thought were awesome, only to see traffic trickle in to them? How do you promote what you think are you best posts? Stumble Upon? Digg? Twitter? Other online tools? Word of mouth?

I have a current series, that I want to promote, but it's not gaining as much traction as I had hoped, at least not yet (I'm ever hopeful :)

Tags: Digg, StumbleUpon, Twitter, blogging, media, posts, promotion, social, traffic

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmmm - EXCELLENT QUESTION and I'm interested to hear the answers! I've been trying digg but I don't think it gets me very far - or maybe I need to do it differently?
I twitter my best posts!

http://twitter.com/kingdomfirstmom

It makes a big difference when you ask for feedback on Twitter.
I guess I should answer my own question. I have tried Digg, Kirtsy.com, Twitter and forums with limited success. I've had a couple of days with 1000+ hits thanks to StumbleUpon, but the bounce rate is high for the traffic from SU. Stumblers will typically stay on the site for a few seconds to see what its about, then move on. It's not really steady traffic. My search engine traffic has been better since I switched to the Thesis theme for WordPress. I guess all of this is to say I've gotten a small amount of hits from lost of places, but no "breakthrough" yet.
Twitter mainly, and tell others
Well, not exactly along the lines of external promotion, but I have a list of favorites I keep in a list on my right column, and based on my statcounter, new visitors to my blog check out those older posts DAILY, and I am still getting comments on them, months later. It's a great way to show first time visitors my past work, and it gives them a good idea of my writing style.
If you have article-length posts then you might try article feeds like DivineCaroline.com (happens to be one of my favorites b/c it's women-focused).

Or, perhaps you can take a more direct approach and reach out to specific blogs that have a readership you want to touch - ask the blog owner to post an excerpt of your post with a link to your blog with the full article.

I'm also in the process of learning more about SMRs (Social Media Release) and it might work for you if you think your series is newsworthy and you have some PR contacts to distribute to.
McMommy (of the McMommy Chronicles) does this fabulous POW (post of the week) every Friday and she highlights everyone's best post for them using Mr. Linky. Check her out. McMommy

I've seen others have links of their own 'best' stuff in their sidebar.

I haven't thought of doing that ...yet.
Oh and Adoptic.com is another cool place to check out!
This is a great idea!!!!

Brittany said:
Well, not exactly along the lines of external promotion, but I have a list of favorites I keep in a list on my right column, and based on my statcounter, new visitors to my blog check out those older posts DAILY, and I am still getting comments on them, months later. It's a great way to show first time visitors my past work, and it gives them a good idea of my writing style.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/17/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

12 Days of Christmas Super Sale

Not a member?  Sign up here for your Free
Healthy Home Company Membership
https://mombloggersgiftmembership.com

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

The more moms who are a part of Mom Bloggers for Social Good, the more good we can do through our blogs and social media. Please join us!

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service