I recently posted a blog about how my son has entered the horrible stage of "separation anxiety". I'm worried about how to handle this the right way. Any suggestions? I've never had to deal with this before and was kinda hoping that he would skip over this part of toddlerhood.

http://amyclary.blogspot.com

Tags: anxiety, boy, mom, seperation, toddler

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this is a very tough stage for you. But I've always found that if you just "indulge" this phase it passes quickly. Instead of constantly pushing him away...take the time to be with him constantly. We've called it "smother mother" and eventually the toddler does feel smothered and will separate on their own.

see when you constantly push them away they feel rejected and become all the more clingy. But if instead you allow this they feel accepted and soon get over their anxiety.

Hope it all works out for the best.
Thanks for your advice. It's truly the opposite of other advice I've been given. I was talking to my hubster about putting up a gate in his bedroom to have him "practice" being away from me. I like the smothering idea though. I can't get enough of him as it is. :)

Renee @ fefyfomanna said:
I know this is a very tough stage for you. But I've always found that if you just "indulge" this phase it passes quickly. Instead of constantly pushing him away...take the time to be with him constantly. We've called it "smother mother" and eventually the toddler does feel smothered and will separate on their own.

see when you constantly push them away they feel rejected and become all the more clingy. But if instead you allow this they feel accepted and soon get over their anxiety.

Hope it all works out for the best.
I try to address her concern while still not picking her up and 'rescuing' her. For instance. I'll sit down on the floor with her and hug her while not getting in the habit of picking her up and carrying her around. When she feels comfortable again she can easily walk away and start playing with her toys. It's worked really well so far. HTH and good luck!
I think it really depends on what is going on in your situation. I really think getting on his level really helps! I'm due any day and have a son that is going to be 2 in a couple of weeks. I can't pick him up because he is 30 lbs. of lovin' so I try to get on the floor with him or just sit with him on the couch or whatever it is that will bring us eye to eye without picking him up. It really does help because he plays about the house and runs back and forth to me.
I am in that stage right now! My daughter just started preschool and the first day went great and the next 3 days she was crying when I showed up to pick her up from school! I am a push over when it comes to my baby missing me. This is the first I've had to deal with it as well...maybe we can get through together...
What about parental separation anxiety? You know, the kind when your kid takes off in the car on his own for the first time. Will he crash? Will he know how to get there?

Or he takes a date to a dance for the first time and you sit at home wondering what is going on. Will he remember his manners? Will he ditch her for his friends?

This is what you have to look forward too! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/19/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service