How Do You Handle Contestants Who Don't Follow The Rules Listed In Your Giveaway?

I'm hosting my first giveaway and, have many contestants who are not following the requirements that I have listed in order to win. Many are just leaving comments like, "Great giveaway!" or "I hope I win!" Should I include these contestants when I plug the numbers into random.org? I feel like it's not fair to the contestants who really did follow the rules and, visited the sponsor like they were supposed to!

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this sounds mean but if they don't follow the rules I don't count their entries. It's not fair to those who do IMHO.

My one & only contest that I ran had hundreds of entries so it was easy for me to delete those entries. It may be more difficult if you have a smaller turnout??

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this.
I might make sure the winner you choose did follow the rules. If they didn't, I'd choose again.
I do what Jen does. While they may be counted for the time being, if they didn't follow the rules and they were picked as the winner, I simply choose another.
my two cents: only include the ones who followed the rules!
and thanks for letting me be a part of it!!!!
I will put the rules up. If they aren't followed, then I delete the names and the comments of those who didn't follow the rules, and then pick from the remaining contestants.

It's not like I ask alot from the person entering, they need to show me that they are paying attention
Of course you can't include the people who did not enter correctly into your contest. First, I would check your description of the rules to make sure it's clear -- I haven't seen a lot of online contests, but sometimes it's not quite clear if you need to do A, B, C, and D for one entry, or if doing A is one entry and you get bonus entries, etc. etc. So check and see if your rules look vague and make the requirements clearer if need be.

Then I'd either void the incomplete entries, OR, send them a standardized email (make one and send to everyone who did it wrong) that their entry is incomplete and won't be counted, but they are welcome to fix their entry by making sure they have done (A, B, C, whatever...)

Lastly, I would consider how many hoops you are asking entrants to jump through for a contest. I passed on one for a digital photo frame that looked like a great prize just because it seemed too complicated. You'll need to decide what your goal is -- do you want a large number of entries or a small number of entries but with a greater amount of entrant participation -- or do you want to give one easy entry and then bonus entries for greater participation. I tend to think that's the best way to go, but I've never run a contest, only participated!

Good luck with your contest!!! Now, where's your link, can we see it?

Karen
Karen said:
Of course you can't include the people who did not enter correctly into your contest. First, I would check your description of the rules to make sure it's clear -- I haven't seen a lot of online contests, but sometimes it's not quite clear if you need to do A, B, C, and D for one entry, or if doing A is one entry and you get bonus entries, etc. etc. So check and see if your rules look vague and make the requirements clearer if need be.

Then I'd either void the incomplete entries, OR, send them a standardized email (make one and send to everyone who did it wrong) that their entry is incomplete and won't be counted, but they are welcome to fix their entry by making sure they have done (A, B, C, whatever...)

Lastly, I would consider how many hoops you are asking entrants to jump through for a contest. I passed on one for a digital photo frame that looked like a great prize just because it seemed too complicated. You'll need to decide what your goal is -- do you want a large number of entries or a small number of entries but with a greater amount of entrant participation -- or do you want to give one easy entry and then bonus entries for greater participation. I tend to think that's the best way to go, but I've never run a contest, only participated!

Karen

Oh and all my comments are on the assumption your contest is still open. If it's closed, then I'd just void the incomplete entries and run your drawing. Then use all this for next time. :)
I never delete the entries or comments because some of them may have honestly missed a part they were supposed to do. We all get in a hurry sometimes I don't read through the entire rules, guilty as charged, and it would seem completely rude of me to just press delete.

As many entries as I get in a contest, there's no way that I could email the ones that didn't follow through correctly. It's much easier to pick a winner and verify their entries; if they did it all correctly, they win, if they didn't..they don't.
Thank you for the advice! I'm running a 10 day back to school giveaway but, the commnts close each night at midnight. Here is the link http://theglamorouswahm.com

Karen said:
Karen said:

Karen

Oh and all my comments are on the assumption your contest is still open. If it's closed, then I'd just void the incomplete entries and run your drawing. Then use all this for next time. :)
I just gave away a double stroller, and right before the contest ended, I had someone leave like 30 comments in a row - just stuff like, "I really want to win this!" and "Look, my dog is commenting - even he wants me to win it!" - that sort of thing. I thought it was funny (for a minute) but I deleted all but one of their comments before I did the drawing. I guess people don't always read the rules, or maybe think they don't really apply to them?
If you don't follow the rules you haven't entered and don't deserve to win.

it's obivious that the rules are pretty clear if you have plenty of folks following them. I wouldn't worry about letting the folks who didn't enter properly know about it though. They can just assume that luck wasn't with them. You shouldn't have to hold their hand to make sure they do it right.
they need to follow the rules, it isn't fair to the people that take the time to do it properly. I am a rule follower though!

Kristen

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service