Every year my family falls short of giving me a thoughtful present. It hurts my feelings about how little time they spend on my gift while I devote time, energy and money on theirs. I'm not asking for anything expensive. Does anyone else have this problem?

Elizabeth at A Wild Ride.

Tags: gift, giving

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Holiday gift season used to cause me much anxiety. I would feel bad if the gift I gave was not as nice as the one I received. Conversely it also would bother me if I spent considerable more time and money than the other person. I also felt guilty if someone unexpectedly brought me a present and I had nothing for them. I ended up creating a " gift drawer" of items I would find, usually on sale throughout the year. When a friend showed up with an unexpected gift, I was prepared. This works well for birthdays too.

As far as my family goes, we give each other a few "suggestions" to help make the job easier. Pajamas, books and gift cards are perfect for my kids. Only child-free adults get gifts. My husband and I will buy a joint gift for ourselves. One year it was matching recliners; another new cell phones.

I don't need much and sometimes too many random, odd, gifts bother me. It is wasteful and I rather not get anything. If feelings are getting hurt, it may be time to stop exchanging gifts. Perhaps split the cost of an evening out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/23/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service