What do you think about using 125 x 125 badges as blogrolls as opposed to simple text links? I see a lot of mom bloggers doing that these days, but it may be taking up valuable real estate on sidebars. I think friends' badges should get their own page, freeing up space on blog sidebars to earn money through advertising.

What do you think?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have put my badge collection on a separate page; for me, it was a matter of trying to keep my overall layout simple -- so no one is distracted from the content.
I am wokring on a badge page on my blog. I want the badges to be seen, but I don't want a ton of clutter on the sidebar.
I haven't gotten into advertising much yet, but when I do I'll probably make a link page for all my friends and favorite blog buttons.
I think that the badges do look like alot of clutter. Blogrolls were easy to read through click on without taking up a lot of space.
if i was actually making money through my ads I would agree...but i have yet to make a dime...so i think the badges are cute. BUT, I do agree that I think you should be kinda close w/ the person you have a badge for. i wouldn't just put anybody's badge on my blog.
Not only do badges take up valuable space on sidebars, they slow down the loading of the page! Personally, if a page takes too long too load I'm likely to move on to the next one.

I have my blogroll on a separate page, and do use the 125x125 badges. I think that those show so much more personality than just a text link. I'm more likely to click on an interesting button, than one name in a long list of links.
Yes, a separate page is a great idea. I know of some higher ranked blogs that are doing this for revenue.

Lately I'm having such a problem with my sidebar widgets loading that I'm thinking of getting rid of most of them even though theyr'e supposed to give me traffic. They're even worse than badges.
I only see a problem doing all badges on the sidebar because graphics-heavy pages take a while to download. Sometimes people get frustrated if the page doesn't load quickly, and you may lose readers that way.
I think that badges clutter the sidebar. I have moved most badges to my Linky Love page and am contemplating moving all of them there.
I think it depends on what your motive for blogging is. As mine isn't to make money, I prefer the blog roll (whether it be links or badges) on the front page...and I don't tend to visit blogs with ads. Talk about annoying! Most of them would drive me up a wall. :-) And I'm not going to take the time to click all around someone's blog just to get to their blog roll--if it's important enough for them to have me visit, it should be on the front page. I do think a line should be drawn with badges if they're getting to be too much though, both for a cleaner look and the time it takes the page to load.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

11/24/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service