I'm thinking of switching from blogger to wordpress. Has anyone made the switch? Have any words of wisdom or sites I should check out? Change scares me, but I want more freedom and flexibility. Thanks!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have both. I started with Wordpress on the first blog and I love all the options I have with it Firefly-Shop and the new blog is on Blogger Firefly shop My Thoughts and it took me a while to get use to it coming from Wordpress, for me Wordpress has more options and it's easier to work with.
Wow, I was surprised to hear all the great things about wordpress. I tried it and just couldn't get the hang of it. I love Blogger and plan to stay with it.
I made the switch a couple of years ago and haven't looked back! Wordpress is great because of all of the plugins and the ability to change your blog layout to whatever as the code is pretty flexible!
I'm still undecided. I won't switch unless I learn to set some stuff up on my own - I get bored easily and I don't want to be stuck with the same design/layout because I can't do it myself (and I can't afford to pay someone every time I feel like a change!). If I can find someone to tech me some basic things AND do the transfer for a reasonable price, I might just jump in with both feet and do it :-)
I'm finding the customization a real pain. I can't find a template that will keep the look of the blog the same (as on Blogger). Also, there aren't a whole lote of plugins to choose from. Blogger has a ton!
Are you talking about the free customization? Because it seems pretty limited to me :-( Of course there's a big chance I just haven't figured it out yet ;-)
One thing that nobody has mentioned when discussing switching is, if you originally had blogspot in your url, then when you switch and have a different url, you will lose all your links and therefore your page rank and alexa and everything. That is the main reason that I am scared to switch. I've worked so hard to get so many links and good rankings that I hate to lose them.

Jennifer
http://connectwithyourteens.blogspot.com/
I used to have a Blogger account but it frustrates me to not be able to expand my blog the way I wanted it to be. I absolutely love Wordpress and I must say that the coding is quite addictive. I had fun dressing-up my blogs - Raising Daniel and Living Together Blog
I've never used Blogger, so I can't compare, but I do really love Wordpress for my blog. I don't know anything about coding or CSS or HTML, and I don't have to (I use the free blog, not self-hosted). As a reader, I've found I tend prefer reading Wordpress blogs. Most of the Blogger blogs aren't as attractive (and I know that's based on how the blogger set them up, but just in general I don't think most of the templates look as nice), and I hate how comments work on Blogger--making them can be painful, and then you end up on a totally different page so you can't move back and forth from post to comments easily.
I checked out wordpress but couldn't quite "get it" - am I missing something... is there a drag&drop page layout editor on wordpress or is all html?

Like othere, I've considered making the switch but want something that doesn't involve figuring out all the "code" just to put up an add or button.

I've actually considered moving here to Ning - but the monthly fee if you don't want to use their ads and want any storage space is like $60 when it all adds up (ouch). Still considering it though as I love the social network aspect...
I wrote an article about this!

http://www.momdot.com/how-to-decide-which-service-to-blog-at/

Go with wordpress, hands down.
what web host do you use?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/19/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service