I've got a bunch of stuff to share:
- Info on Vitamin C
- Info on an upcoming BOOK FAIR AND BOOK SIGNING THIS SUNDAY, APRIL 10TH FROM 2-3:30PM...IF YOU ARE LOCAL TO MONUMENT, CO (COLORADO SPRINGS OR DENVER AREAS), PLEASE COME ON OVER! Scroll down to get the details
- Info on a Book Blog Tour for Max the Dog...again, scroll down to get the details
Last Thursday we found out why it is so important to eat foods rich in Vitamin B.
Today I want to give you some facts about another vitamin that is vital to your health: Vitamin C.
- Needed for growth and repair of tissues
- Used to form collagen, a protein that makes skin, scar tissue, and blood vessels
- Essential for the healing of wounds
- Necessary for the repair and maintenance of bones and teeth
- Blocks some of the damage caused by free radicals
Now what, you may ask, are free radicals? The term is mentioned a lot…perhaps it would be good if we had a definition.
Free radicals are the by-products that result when our bodies turn food into energy. Perhaps it would help to think of it like setting a match to a newspaper…after the paper burns, you are left with ashes…the ashes are like the free radicals…kind of dirty garbage. A build-up of these by-products in our bodies is largely responsible for the aging process and contributes to the development of cancer, heart disease and arthritis. BRING ON THE VITAMIN C!!!!!!!
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin which means it dissolves in water. Leftover amounts of this vitamin are not retained, but are passed out through the urine. And what this means is that you need a CONTINUOUS supply of the vitamin in your diet.
So how can you make sure that you and your family are getting enough Vitamin C?
You need to eat foods rich in Vitamin C…many fruits and vegetables fall into this category, among them: papaya, watermelon, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, red peppers, blueberries, cranberries and pineapples.
SHOW ME HOW! BUILD YOUR CHILD’S SELF-ESTEEM THROUGH READING, CRAFTI... contains 100 child-friendly recipes that your children would love to help you prepare. Many of the healthful ingredients called for are rich in Vitamin C. If you click on the book title, you can go to my website and find out more about the book.
Two important reminders:
- Sunday, April 10th…I will be at the Covered Treasures Bookstore in Monument, CO from 2-3:30pm…talking about reading, crafting and cooking with young children and signing copies of my book. For more details go to www.coveredtreasures.com. The Book Fair benefits the Tri-Lakes Community Preschool Tuition Assistance Program.
- Tuesday, April 12th…I will be hosting Max the Dog as he continues his 36 day book blog tour. For more details about the on-going contest and to see where he has been and where he is going, please visit: http://readwithmax.com/blogbooktour.htmlhttp://readwithmax.com/blog....
And please don’t forget to stop by tomorrow for Follow-Me-Fridays: Where’s Miss Vivian? I will tell you all about today’s visit with Bates Elementary School.