Can I get followers and RSS subscribers without GIVEAWAYS?

I'm still new to MBC and to blogging in general. I started blogging because I enjoy TALKING! And, my husband is tired of LISTENING! And I have a remodel going on and I need to talk about it and get advice from others! I love interior design and I have spent a lot of time and energy...and money getting our house done, so I like to share some adventures and some money saving tips with others.

I only have 16 followers, I don't know how to tell if I have RSS subscribers or not and I don't have anything to GIVEAWAY! So, what gives? How does someone get followers or subscribers to just enjoy thier blog with no ties or freebies?

XO,

Candace

Tags: blogging, design, followers, giveaways, interior, remodel, rss, subscribers

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Candace,

The answers to your question is absolutely, positively, YES!

Yes, you can absolutely get followers and subscribers and readers to your blog without giveaways or freebies.

If you are blogging about something that people want to read - every single one of your readers is getting a "prize." If I read your blog and get a laugh... that's my prize. If I read your blog and get a new perspective... that's my prize. If I read your blog and learn something new... that's my prize.

If you look at it this way, and try to make each of your posts (or at least most of your posts) a prize in and of themselves, you'll get loyal readers and followers.

To get your first followers, announcing yourself in a forum like this is a great place to start. Other great ways are to find other bloggers in your "niche," and follow them. Comment on their posts when their posts interest or excite you. As you build relationships with them, consider asking them to guest post or blog swap, and you'll get some cross-promotion in readers.

You can also look at the dozen or so "promo" sites for blog (Digg, Delicious, Stumble Upon), to make sure your blog is visible.

Make sure that you have Google Analytics enabled, and take a look once a week or so to see where your traffic is coming from, and to see if you are growing the traffic to your site.

Any questions, or need help... let me know. I'm still pretty new to all of this, but am learning pretty quickly, and would be happy to share what I've learned so far!

Carolina
http://expectmoore.blogspot.com
Thanks for the great advice and vote of confidence Carolina. I am tracking on Google Analytics and I'll look into the recommendations for the promo sites you mentioned. I try to add my personality to my blog and to just be "me". I do want my blog to be recognized by those that get something out of it. Not to follow it because of any other reason. Maybe I'm just expecting that to happen way too soon. So, I guess I'll just be patient and hope that others will happen upon my blog and will be inspired or entertained and "want" to follow it because of those reasons.

XO,
Candace

Carolina Moore said:
Hi Candace,

The answers to your question is absolutely, positively, YES!

Yes, you can absolutely get followers and subscribers and readers to your blog without giveaways or freebies.

If you are blogging about something that people want to read - every single one of your readers is getting a "prize." If I read your blog and get a laugh... that's my prize. If I read your blog and get a new perspective... that's my prize. If I read your blog and learn something new... that's my prize.

If you look at it this way, and try to make each of your posts (or at least most of your posts) a prize in and of themselves, you'll get loyal readers and followers.

To get your first followers, announcing yourself in a forum like this is a great place to start. Other great ways are to find other bloggers in your "niche," and follow them. Comment on their posts when their posts interest or excite you. As you build relationships with them, consider asking them to guest post or blog swap, and you'll get some cross-promotion in readers.

You can also look at the dozen or so "promo" sites for blog (Digg, Delicious, Stumble Upon), to make sure your blog is visible.

Make sure that you have Google Analytics enabled, and take a look once a week or so to see where your traffic is coming from, and to see if you are growing the traffic to your site.

Any questions, or need help... let me know. I'm still pretty new to all of this, but am learning pretty quickly, and would be happy to share what I've learned so far!

Carolina
http://expectmoore.blogspot.com
I have never done any give always and I have followers. If people like what you have to say you do not have to bribe them trust me.
Hi Noor,

I guess it's just finding out what my followers will want to read about. It's all about the perception and a "good" blog might be different for everyone. So then I guess the challenge is blogging about content that I enjoy writing about and hope that the majority of my followers will agree that it's good content...?

XO,
Candace

Noor AlQahtani said:
I have never done any give always and I have followers. If people like what you have to say you do not have to bribe them trust me.
I think the best way to get followers is to visit other people's blogs, comment, leave your blog URL, follow them, and then make sure you MENTION that you are following them. I'll leave an example on your blog :) If they don't follow you back, then they are kind of rude. But, most bloggers reciprocate.

My husband was tired of listening, too. Sigh....
Two things I would suggest that helped me.

Solve a problem, answer a question, provide a solution:

The biggest thing that will attract search engine traffic - people you don't have to bribe with giveaways - is to answer a question or solve a problem. People use search engines just for that purpose and if your post can do that you will come up on the search engine. Think of something you want to write about and figure out what question someone would be asking that your post would answer. Make that the title of your post.

Examples:
How to save money on wallpaper
What is the best accent piece for a blue room
What kind of lamp is best for a small room

Just ideas. I have no clue about decorating. You can also go to http://answers.yahoo.com and pick your category and see what people are asking. Then use those questions to come up with blog posts.

Work with other bloggers

Next biggest thing is what someone else mentioned, meet a few bloggers and work with them. Find bloggers in your general topic and start to comment on their posts on their blogs or Facebook or Twitter. Get to know just 1 or 2 and eventually you can email them and say, I have this great post that you could share with your readers, and then ask them to link to you in the post. Do the same for them or email them and ask to use their post first. Find something they need help with and jump in and volunteer to help for free.

I fought this for a long time because there is literally no one in my niche but I eventually found a very small list of people and it worked. I get lots of traffic from one blogger who promotes me once a week so yes, it does work.
Thanks for the great words of wisdom Holly and for following!

XO,
Candace

Holly Jennings said:
I think the best way to get followers is to visit other people's blogs, comment, leave your blog URL, follow them, and then make sure you MENTION that you are following them. I'll leave an example on your blog :) If they don't follow you back, then they are kind of rude. But, most bloggers reciprocate.

My husband was tired of listening, too. Sigh....
Great info Sweetie!!! I'll try some of these ideas. I'm doing a guest blog for Carolina @ http://expectmoore.blogspot.com on August 7th! I've been asked to do another guest blog on a bathroom fixture website in NJ. I like the idea of interacting with other bloggers and doing these guest posts. It's fun! And really, that's what blogging is all about for me, I have to enjoy it.

Hopefully we can all help eachother!

XO,
Candace

Wendy (aka Sweetie) said:
Two things I would suggest that helped me.

Solve a problem, answer a question, provide a solution:

The biggest thing that will attract search engine traffic - people you don't have to bribe with giveaways - is to answer a question or solve a problem. People use search engines just for that purpose and if your post can do that you will come up on the search engine. Think of something you want to write about and figure out what question someone would be asking that your post would answer. Make that the title of your post.

Examples:
How to save money on wallpaper
What is the best accent piece for a blue room
What kind of lamp is best for a small room

Just ideas. I have no clue about decorating. You can also go to http://answers.yahoo.com and pick your category and see what people are asking. Then use those questions to come up with blog posts.

Work with other bloggers

Next biggest thing is what someone else mentioned, meet a few bloggers and work with them. Find bloggers in your general topic and start to comment on their posts on their blogs or Facebook or Twitter. Get to know just 1 or 2 and eventually you can email them and say, I have this great post that you could share with your readers, and then ask them to link to you in the post. Do the same for them or email them and ask to use their post first. Find something they need help with and jump in and volunteer to help for free.

I fought this for a long time because there is literally no one in my niche but I eventually found a very small list of people and it worked. I get lots of traffic from one blogger who promotes me once a week so yes, it does work.
Thanks Sienna. I do track the activity of Google Analytics and I do see that people are visiting my blog, but they are not following....hmmmm...it might always remain a mystery.....

XO,
Candace
I think that if you write the content you are passionate about then you will attract readers who are passionate about it as well. If you end up writing for other people you will get burnt out and not know really what to write about anymore.

Loft32 said:
Hi Noor,

I guess it's just finding out what my followers will want to read about. It's all about the perception and a "good" blog might be different for everyone. So then I guess the challenge is blogging about content that I enjoy writing about and hope that the majority of my followers will agree that it's good content...?

XO,
Candace

Noor AlQahtani said:
As far as writing what you are passionate about versus writing for readers, you have to decide what your ultimate goal is in blogging. If all you care about is blogging to express your thoughts, share an idea, vent, etc then yes, write about whatever you want, how ever you want. But, also, don't worry if you get readers or traffic because they may never come. However, maybe what you write about will be unique enough and exciting enough to attract people and it will spread like wildfire. However, if it were that easy everyone who blogs would have huge followings.

But if you want to attract people faster then write what people are looking for. I'm not saying don't write about what you are passionate about, just turn it around so it is also what others are looking for. If you like your topic most likely there are others out there who do to.

I am always passionate about what I write about and I find a way to make it interesting but after awhile it is a job and sometimes I get sick of writing about the same thing. Now that I have readers I want to keep giving them what they want to keep them coming back. I earn my living completely from the money I make from blogging. So there is the second reason why to write for readers more than writing for just yourself - making money. Are you trying to make money doing this? I get 4,000 unique visitors a day on one of my blogs and it's not because I necessarily write what I want to write about anymore. The readers feel my passion but now I write for them. My personal blog where I write anything and anyway makes no money and gets about 20 hits a day. It all depends on your goal and that is the first thing you should figure out.
Amanda, I agree. I guess then I need to just be patient huh!

XO,
Candace

Amanda Leigh said:
I think that if you write the content you are passionate about then you will attract readers who are passionate about it as well. If you end up writing for other people you will get burnt out and not know really what to write about anymore.

Loft32 said:
Hi Noor,

XO,
Candace

Noor AlQahtani said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

10/24/14 BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service