What kind of comment moderation (if any) do you have on your blog? Have you ever received obscene, lewd or threatening comments? How did you handle them? Do you have any sort of counters or programs on your blog that record people's information, like ip addresses, referring page, pages visited, etc.?

(I ask because I received a very rude comment this past week!)

- Shay @ Wonderfully Chaotic

Tags: comment, commenting, comments, moderation, spam, trolls

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Comment Policy on my About page that basically says, "We welcome constructive criticisms and suggestions. Spam will be deleted. Abusive, rude, and malicious comments will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked."

I do have Akismet plugin installed in my Wordpress to filter spam.

Unfortunately, troll comments happen. They usually only leave a name, email address, and no URL. I almost always delete those comments. Don't be afraid to delete comments. It is YOUR blog and you want to create a safe environment for your friends and readers to comment. I have never gotten any threats after a deleting a comment. Most trolls are teenagers getting their kicks by pushing your buttons. An argument with them never goes anywhere and it's a waste of time.

So delete the rude comment and don't think of it and move on. I hope this helps!
If you are on WP.org you can choose to moderate comments from new commenters. The first comment is moderated and after that they are allowed. There are also Akismet or other spam plugins that will help you stay away from spam.

For Blogger: put on comment moderation and make a note in the comment section that any comments that are rude or not relevant will be deleted.
Thanks for the comments ladies - I appreciate it. I luckily had the moderation turned on when I got this unfortunate comment - which was something very derogatory about my child - so I was able to delete it before anyone saw it. I would rather it had been something about me than my child! :( But I am going to assume it was just a random stupid person and move on.
comments on my blog must be approved prior to publishing. and while i've not received any obscene or threatening comments, i do get spam. not the spam i make fried rice with. but the spam that's all like... let me offer you a percent rate on etc etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/22/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service