I read an interesting post today at This Happy Mom called "No Cussing Allowed - An Open Letter To Cussers" and it really got me thinking (and commenting) on her post.

Do you cuss on your blog?

My last post, The Secret To A Stronger (Happier) Family included swear words. Now I'm wondering if I should edit my swears or just be me.

What are your thoughts?

Feel free to join our discussion here or over on Susan's blog post listed at the top of the page.

Thanks!

Leah

www.coderedhat.com

Tags: cussing, swearing

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No one has any thoughts on this? C'mon, please share. You ladies have to have an opinion. :)

I personally do not cuss on my blog but I do not cuss much in general.  I have to be pretty fired up to cuss, even in my ordinary every day life.  I am not saying it is bad to cuss, there is one blog I read that cuss' alot,and it does not offend me but I just choose not to.  My mom reads my blog and some day when my daughter can read, she might too and I do not want her reading those words coming from me.

To each their own, I say that if the off swear word here and there are normal for you there is no reason you should have to change who you are on YOUR blog.

I think it depends on your purpose of the blog... I cuss on mine because I don't have any commercial plans with the blog to where I have to follow any rules. If you want to be featured on something like babble or a major news source, they probably prefer you not cuss though I doubt it's an actual stipulation. I suppose it would make sense to consider your audience's preference as well. Some people are so offended at a lot of cussing or certain words they might stop following your blog or something. That's up to you if you think it's worth losing them over your choice of words. I personally am trying to not get people like that following my blog because they tend to judge more, so I am throwing out some f-bombs on occasion for that reason. But I have more than one blog going, and I haven't really kept up with the one and the other that I'm planning to really nurture is new.

I sometimes curse on my blog. I curse in real life, I'm going to do it on my blog! Now, I don't spell out the f word, there's a strategically placed asterisk if I feel the need to drop that bomb, but words like damn or hell are right there like they are here. It's part of my personality, and although in certain company of course I mind my language to be respectful, my blog is *MY* blog.  MINE.  I can't emphasize that enough.  If it a little cursing here and there bothers you *that* much, I'm sorry, but I won't change it.

I don't cuss on my blog even if there are moments in life that I talk like a sailor.  However, that is because I do review/giveaways and it isn't really the context that belongs in those posts.  I think whatever YOU want to do on your blog is what is right for your blog.  Some people may not read your blog due to the cussing but others may because they like that you aren't afraid of losing readers and want to be yourself!  I think everyone is free to cuss or not cuss on their blog just like everyone is free to either read it, or not!

Nicole,
That's exactly how I feel. I would give my blog a PG-13 rating. I haven't dropped an f-bomb, but I haven't had a need. I would probably use a character substitution f#@k! or sometime. All other run-of-the-mill swears (damn, hell, shit, asshole, etc.) I also don't use my swearing in a malicious way. More like, AND I don't always include swears in all my posts. I mean really. Who needs swears in a tuscan bean dip recipe?

Nicole Hughes said:

I sometimes curse on my blog. I curse in real life, I'm going to do it on my blog! Now, I don't spell out the f word, there's a strategically placed asterisk if I feel the need to drop that bomb, but words like damn or hell are right there like they are here. It's part of my personality, and although in certain company of course I mind my language to be respectful, my blog is *MY* blog.  MINE.  I can't emphasize that enough.  If it a little cursing here and there bothers you *that* much, I'm sorry, but I won't change it.

Yesterday I added Salty the Sailor (I call him Magnus) to alert readers that there is strong language used in a post. This way they can choose to read further or not. It's my way of still operating my blog the way I want and being respectful of those whose bottoms may pucker when I use the word DAMN! in a sentence.

Michelle L Grewe said:

I think it depends on your purpose of the blog... I cuss on mine because I don't have any commercial plans with the blog to where I have to follow any rules. If you want to be featured on something like babble or a major news source, they probably prefer you not cuss though I doubt it's an actual stipulation. I suppose it would make sense to consider your audience's preference as well. Some people are so offended at a lot of cussing or certain words they might stop following your blog or something. That's up to you if you think it's worth losing them over your choice of words. I personally am trying to not get people like that following my blog because they tend to judge more, so I am throwing out some f-bombs on occasion for that reason. But I have more than one blog going, and I haven't really kept up with the one and the other that I'm planning to really nurture is new.

Yesterday I came up with icon to warn all of my "swear sensitive" readers that swear words were on the horizon. I think it's brilliant. It gives you the option to choose. AND he's eye-candy. That's like doing a double-public-service.

If you want, you can meet Salty the Sailor

PS I wanted to thank everyone who has shared so far. I'll be heading over to your blogs to check them out. I enjoy each and every one of your insights. Keep 'em coming!

I swear quite a bit in person. So does my husband. It seems we can't help it and it's become a dirty habit (esp. with our son getting to that age where he's repeating everything we say; he already said bitch and we were mortified, after containing our laughter, of course). My husband and I just started a cuss jar so we'll be putting a quarter in every time we slip up. We really want to break the habit. 

As for blogging, I don't swear on there (for the most part. I believe I've written "damn" and "shit" in my "flashback friday" posts but those are supposed to be written as a story from my past, usually from when I was a teen, hence the name "flashback friday"). My blog is new and I'd like to have it grow commercially one day. I want to give a personal, yet professional, impression. Plus, my home business is linked to it and I wouldn't curse in front of my clients so I'm writing as though one of them could see it.

I do run another blog and have for some time, but that's not family related and I don't showcase it on my mom blog. I don't even use my first name there, they all call me by my middle name. I curse on that one because the audience is a younger crowd (and the majority of them are not mothers) and I'm more open with them. 

I don't, personally, get turned off by cursing. It's that person's blog. They can write how they want. I wouldn't unfollow or call someone out for it.

PS. I like your blog. Followed you on Twitter. ;)

-Sarah
It's Sarah Rose

I swear on occasion on my blog. Like maybe 3x this whole summer, and I post 5-6x a week. And I quite enjoy reading other bloggers who use swears, in the right context. Sometimes those words just fit whichever situation you're writing about best!

Lindsey

The Accidental Wallflower

If the word fits! I think that since it is your personal space to write what you want then you should be able to say whatever you like. I personally do not swear much so it has never really come up. I try to keep the content of my blog appropriate for any age and taste but I am an advocate for free speech.

P.S. I love your sailor icon!

Sarah,

If I had to put money in a swear jar I wouldn't have money for groceries! (I kid - well, sorta)

When my boys were little parrots I had to tone it down too. That's why I like the freedom to swear on my blog. It's my place. :)

(Followed you back on twitter, btw.)

Sarah Rose said:

I swear quite a bit in person. So does my husband. It seems we can't help it and it's become a dirty habit (esp. with our son getting to that age where he's repeating everything we say; he already said bitch and we were mortified, after containing our laughter, of course). My husband and I just started a cuss jar so we'll be putting a quarter in every time we slip up. We really want to break the habit. 

As for blogging, I don't swear on there (for the most part. I believe I've written "damn" and "shit" in my "flashback friday" posts but those are supposed to be written as a story from my past, usually from when I was a teen, hence the name "flashback friday"). My blog is new and I'd like to have it grow commercially one day. I want to give a personal, yet professional, impression. Plus, my home business is linked to it and I wouldn't curse in front of my clients so I'm writing as though one of them could see it.

I do run another blog and have for some time, but that's not family related and I don't showcase it on my mom blog. I don't even use my first name there, they all call me by my middle name. I curse on that one because the audience is a younger crowd (and the majority of them are not mothers) and I'm more open with them. 

I don't, personally, get turned off by cursing. It's that person's blog. They can write how they want. I wouldn't unfollow or call someone out for it.

PS. I like your blog. Followed you on Twitter. ;)

-Sarah
It's Sarah Rose

Reply to Discussion

RSS

10/22/14 Writing Prompt

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service