I write my blog with 3 other writers and today we discussed whether or not we should mention politics on our blog. I linked to a friend's political blog in my post today and I got a response from a reader about it. In her email she said, "I guess I would say that posting such blatently politically biased view points might make some of your readers feel less welcome and choose not to return because we just feel uncomfortable."

Myself and my writers decided that we should stay away from politics unless a law is directly affecting moms.

Have you written about your political views and lost readers? Do you stay away from political commentaries to keep the peace?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tend to stick around on blogs I feel uncomfortable on. They're usually more interesting. And why shouldn't moms write about politics? You should write about whatever you want to write about. I'm a mom who blogs, but motherhood isn't the only thing that defines who I am. Making fun of John Edwards obsession with his hair or feigning complete and utter fear of Dick Cheney? These things are important and should be discussed in a public forum with other in-the-know-moms!!!

Holly
www.hollygoeslightly.net
I personally don't like it... because I can have a conversation with people of other point of views but I can't have a conversation with biased people. Actually I have stopped following some blogs I liked because of that. So, because finding a post about certaing topic politically biased is a very personal opinion, I stay away from politics too.
You blog is your place to talk about what you would like. If politics fit in with your blog/vibe/normal content than go for it. There will be readers that get offended but I find that if a post is well written and not preachy, regardless of what the stance is, then I at least feel like it has given me something to think about.
I'm not a very political person so I wouldn't even know what to say on the subject of politics. :-)

Aloha
Kailani
http://islandlife808.com
I don't have an issue as long as the person isn't demeaning or name calling to someone who holds a different view, e.g. calling them idiots. IMO like all things tact goes a long way. I can read a person who is different from me if they are respectful about it.
I write about politics . . . and religion . . . and other controversial topics, and I am SURE I have lost readers because of it, but I have also GAINED readers because of my topics. I write about what is interesting to me, and I hope my perspective is insightful to others and gives them something to consider they might not have otherwise. I try to always be respectful, and I have found that my readers tend to mimic the tone I have set and respond with the same respectful tone, with a few exceptions. In any event, those are topics that I love . . . for me to NOT address them would be like denying a part of who I am, and I just can't do that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

10/24/14 Writing Prompt

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service