After a long week of working with teens, I've decided to write a book about America's entitled children.  I don't plan to degrade our youth but I hope to bring awareness that we (all of us who strive to give to our children what we didn't receive as children ourselves) need to get our children involved in the family, neighborhood, community, and society.  Rather than giving our children material goods, we should be guiding them to want more than material things -- the exhilarating feeling you get when you help others or achieve something on your own. 

As an educational consultant and college advisor, I hear unbelievable statements straight from the kids.  Even when their parents are filing bankruptcies during this difficult recession, students often demand to go to expensive private colleges or high schools. Some students even expect their parents to send them to Europe after graduation.  While this was something that was popular pre-recession, most parents today can't afford to send their children to college, not to mention give them a travel gift after they've given up their retirement savings to send them to college in the first place.

Tags: children, entitled, entitlement

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are so right on target.  It drives me crazy when high school kids have much much nicer cars than their parents(pardon the pun).   And the children don't even realize there's something wrong with the picture.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service