I have been treating my blog, Evolving Mommy, as a sort of catch all blog where I post everything, reviews recipies, daily events, funny stories, etc. But I have been toying with the idea of starting another blog to house some of the more "specialized" stuff like reviews for instance.

Would you suggest keeping the blogs tied together in theme/name or would you suggest starting something completely different?

Tags: Multiple, blogs, reviews, suggestions

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep multiple blogs as I feel that it maybe best this way coz you have many interest but not everyone is interested in reading about all your interests at the same place.. and it can get rather messy putting all together.. unless u run a magazine like Domestic Bliss or intend to do something similar ( which I maybe considering) as it is tiring running multiple blogs.
It's already been said, but I too thought putting my reviews and giveaways on my main blog was not what my readers were coming for. I love having 2 blogs, and the second one is there IF people want to visit to read a review or enter a giveaway, it won't be "sprung" on them unknowingly. Main blog is Cheaper than Therapy-Musings of a Mom of 3...and review Giveaway blog is Therapeutic...same font style....trying to keep it tied in.
I like how Jen's two blogs tie together. I think something like that would work well. Similar font, colors, etc., and a cute name that is similar yet different.
I'm thinking along the same lines, Catherine.

We recently bought our own home & I'm living all my gardening dreams, while learning sooo much about the topic.
But with the amount of gardening info I'm covering I've decided to start a blog just for that now.

So this thread is great reading for me. Thanks for starting it!

Cheers,
Jane :)
I am in the middle of doing what you are thinking of doing. Splitting up my one blog into a couple of different blogs. Personally I am going to have them all look almost identical, as if they are one blog, with different pages for the main topics. I am going to be hosting them all, so they will all be at the same domain, just different extensions (/reviews /recipes)
It's really about you as a "brand." I used "mama" as my brand for A Mama's Rant and This Mama Cooks! even though they look completely different. Other bloggers spin off their review blog from their main blog and both look similar or are called similar names.

Also, having mulitiple blogs does give you more opportunity for advertising dollars - now you can offer space on more blogs. And you can link back and forth which will drive traffic and give you a little SEO benefit, too.
hi, i started out with a personal blog. then just recently, ive been receiving post reviews for this personal blog. i realized that im kinda putting everything in that blog that it gets a little mixed up already with writing creative essays. lol! so i decided to treat this personal blog for ad reviews and stories about mothering and travels with my son, and then i opened up another blog in wordpress a week ago for creative writing and my other thoughts as a single woman. but i think more than two is impossible for me to manage :)

http://theleavesoftarkong.blogspot.com
http://writinginspectacles.wordpress.com
I have 2 blogs. They're really both bitching blogs but one about the kids and it is G rated for family. The other is a mass of vulgarity and I bitch about EVERYTHING - kids, husband, Apple, perverts... you name it.
I like having the 2 but if I was asked to review stuff would definately be a seperate blog.
I think my favorite thing that I have seen is a menu bar beneath the header with buttons - you can make the buttons do a search for your tags - so one button for reviews, one for recipes, etc. That way it's all on one blog and you can separate it out for folks who only really want to see one thing. Of course they'll have to go to your blog first and see it, but I still think it's worth it!
I have two separate blogs and they're VERY separate. There are readers common to both, but mostly they attract two different crowds. I didn't 'theme' them together and I rarely cross-promote. But they were started for different reasons, so if you're doing reviews on your blog now and just want them to move, something like Jen did at Cheaper Than Therapy works well. Especially if people are already familiar with your 'look' and style, I'd think they'd be more willing to trust the review if they associated with you.
This is where I am at. I have my SAHM blog, but I also want to start a blog for where I live because there is nothing on the web for Sammamish. They wouldn't be related at all, except for th few SAHM's that live in Sammamish. So I wouldn't be cross-promoting. I'm really glad to have read this thread though. It's given me food for thought.
I have the same issue and am in the process of splitting a couple of them off. What I plan on doing is self hosting, so they will all be at the same site, just on different directories. (www.myblog.com/recipes, www.myblog.com/reviews, etc)

They will all have the same template and links to each other, but you will have to subscribe to them individually.

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service