Help!  I fell victim to the godaddy "hack" last week and then the Google/Blogger isssue where my custom domain is no longer "working."  I am one of the lucky ones who had removed my custom domain from blogger in order for my readers to still view my blog via my blogspot URL. 

Long story short, I'm losing readers and usual followers because of the lost link to my custom domain.  They are no longer receiving emails from my blog as subscribers.  The ETA of a fix is up in the air from Google and with a huge project launching on my blog in two weeks I need to find a solution.

I would love suggestions on what web host I should consider.  I'm looking for something that is budget-friendly and reliable, plus easy to transition to.

Thanks for your help!!

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!  As a blog designer, I would recommend Host Gator or RFE. My husband and I both use Host Gator and we have not had any issues to date.  Whenever I have any problems and need help they always respond quickly and are very helpful.  They also offer great packages. 

Good Luck:)

Busy Momi Bee



Shawna Boyer said:

Hello!  As a blog designer, I would recommend Host Gator or RFE. My husband and I both use Host Gator and we have not had any issues to date.  Whenever I have any problems and need help they always respond quickly and are very helpful.  They also offer great packages. 

Good Luck:)

Busy Momi Bee

Thank you!  I had looked into Host Gator.  I am, of course, nervous to make the "move" as I know I will likely have to do a new layout.  But I want to be able to use my custom domain that is already printed on business cards, banners, etc.  So hopefully it will work out!  Thanks again.

Girl my blog was down for half a day, absolutely bites! Plus i teach an ecourse for mom bloggers and i had just sent out the course exercises that morning and no one could access it because that blog is on godaddy hosting too. luckily i have another blog on Selby Media and all is well. Selby is a good choice if you don't need 24/7 support. however if you're like me and test plugin and do weird stuff to htaccess codes, i would suggest bluehost. i've moved many clients there though i'm not an affiliate for bluehost and they haven't had any issues. Selby is great too i host my vanitacyril.com blog and my daughter's blog there and it costs $19 for 6 months. my main blog http://afterbedtimeblog.com is still on godaddy. i keep saying i'm going to leave but i've got 10 subdomians with them. it would be moving 11 websites! lol no time for that! if you're afraid of moving yourself, i offer the service, have testimonials too and i'd gladly give you a $40 discount to help your budget.

Vanita,

Thanks for the info.  My biggest concern is that no matter what host I move my domain to, I will have to "start over" with a new blog as it is my understanding that no other host supports blogger.  I was able to keep my blogspot url at the time of the mess last week, but now that it is "fixed" my domain isn't working through blogger at all. :(  So now for two days I have had nothing at my custom domain but can still use my blogspot.com url.  I just would prefer to use my custom domain as all my printed material has that.

Bluehost is one I was just looking at, but a little more expensive than I'd like. 

well if you moved to a wordpress self hosted site, we can import all your posts and comments and pictures and pages from blogger as long as the blogspot version is active. true you'll need a new design, and there is a bit of a learning curve, but really, when you go from blogger to wordpress, you're growing. many many bloggers can attest to it


I should clarify, wordpress is a blogging platform like blogger.

the paid version gives you more control but there is a free version that you can direct your domain too, however many people leave the free and go to the hosted one. so if you're going to make the move, it's better to make it all at one. also, when you're self hosted, you can do pretty much whatever you want with your blog. there's no restrictions.


Vanita said:

well if you moved to a wordpress self hosted site, we can import all your posts and comments and pictures and pages from blogger as long as the blogspot version is active. true you'll need a new design, and there is a bit of a learning curve, but really, when you go from blogger to wordpress, you're growing. many many bloggers can attest to it

yes, I'm thinking I will make the move to wordpress.  My blogger url is still active to my blog through the blogspot.com url.  when I create a new blog at wordpress do I automatically get set up with a web host?   I ask because if I wanted to create the new blog at wordpress and then transfer my domain to a web host like HostGator could I do that after?  Or should I just create the web host and new layout at the same time?

No, you don't automatically get setup with a web host, you have to do that before moving your content over & I would suggest doing it at the same time(your host & layout).

I use green geeks and can't wait to switch once my hosting is up. They have a lot of sporadic downtime and do updates at the worst times i.e. they will do them in the middle of the day instead of at a time that is a lot less busy.

I hope you find a host that you like and that works best for your site-it can be frustrating but is well worth it once you've got a great host and amazing looking site!

I apologize for jumping in, I just saw the title and thought I could get some info on a host that I hadn't already looked into.

Do a "web hosting for moms" search on google and you'll get a lot of rates, reviews & options!

hmmm, maybe this will help clarify.

WordPress is the free software that runs your blog. for it to work it has to be installed on server space that a web host rents you monthly/yearly. blogger is the free software that runs your existing blog and it's installed on server space owned by google supplied to you for free.

the process is: buy web hosting, point your domain to it, install wordpress, import posts from blogger. (there are techy things to do in between and within each step, but that's how the process goes)

Cinderella Mom said:

yes, I'm thinking I will make the move to wordpress.  My blogger url is still active to my blog through the blogspot.com url.  when I create a new blog at wordpress do I automatically get set up with a web host?   I ask because if I wanted to create the new blog at wordpress and then transfer my domain to a web host like HostGator could I do that after?  Or should I just create the web host and new layout at the same time?

I use 1and1 as a host - I've been using them since 2004 with only 2 or 3 support tickets in all that time and I think one was a question about transferring a domain.

I've heard good things about Hostgater from friends in the online marketing industry, too.

My recommendation is to keep your blogger set-up - go buy the smallest package available at a hosting company. Install Wordpress (many have an easy button for that).  Explore themes, learn the basics - easy - and then import your blogger stuff. 

Save all your custom images so when you have a Wordpress theme you can use them to adapt it - you could get pretty close - there are thousands of themes as well as many theme designers and Wordpress is becoming very universal.

Thanks Judi!  Happy Friday! :)

 

 

Judi Moore said:

I use 1and1 as a host - I've been using them since 2004 with only 2 or 3 support tickets in all that time and I think one was a question about transferring a domain.

I've heard good things about Hostgater from friends in the online marketing industry, too.

My recommendation is to keep your blogger set-up - go buy the smallest package available at a hosting company. Install Wordpress (many have an easy button for that).  Explore themes, learn the basics - easy - and then import your blogger stuff. 

Save all your custom images so when you have a Wordpress theme you can use them to adapt it - you could get pretty close - there are thousands of themes as well as many theme designers and Wordpress is becoming very universal.

Thanks for the additional info.  It is "scary" to choose which host to go with.  But I am more than ready to continue rolling with my blog.  So many exciting things happening that I am anxious to launch with my readers...I did not need this roadblock, but thinking it's meant to be!  :) 


 
Chacoy Aguayo said:

No, you don't automatically get setup with a web host, you have to do that before moving your content over & I would suggest doing it at the same time(your host & layout).

I use green geeks and can't wait to switch once my hosting is up. They have a lot of sporadic downtime and do updates at the worst times i.e. they will do them in the middle of the day instead of at a time that is a lot less busy.

I hope you find a host that you like and that works best for your site-it can be frustrating but is well worth it once you've got a great host and amazing looking site!

I apologize for jumping in, I just saw the title and thought I could get some info on a host that I hadn't already looked into.

Do a "web hosting for moms" search on google and you'll get a lot of rates, reviews & options!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service