Help!  I fell victim to the godaddy "hack" last week and then the Google/Blogger isssue where my custom domain is no longer "working."  I am one of the lucky ones who had removed my custom domain from blogger in order for my readers to still view my blog via my blogspot URL. 

Long story short, I'm losing readers and usual followers because of the lost link to my custom domain.  They are no longer receiving emails from my blog as subscribers.  The ETA of a fix is up in the air from Google and with a huge project launching on my blog in two weeks I need to find a solution.

I would love suggestions on what web host I should consider.  I'm looking for something that is budget-friendly and reliable, plus easy to transition to.

Thanks for your help!!

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello There!

I Highly Recommend Bluehost. I have really never had any problems with them and using their server is easy and understandable (cpanel). Whenever a problem has happened, they get it fixed quickly and the customer service is great. Plus they are reasonably priced. You can Host unlimited domains for just $6.95 per month. However, right now they are doing a deal where you can host it for just $4.95 a month so $59.40 a year.

Hope this helps!

Brittanie

Hi Cinderella mom-

I'm sorry to hear about your blog, that's really a bummer. 

I personally use Hostgator and have never had a problem. They provide good service and answer questions or concerns pretty promptly too. 

Thanks Tawny!  I did purchase a host package with hostgator, however, I'm not "using" them as I could not get my custom domain released from google and was frustrated with the wordpress blog I had to set up.  So, for now I am sticking with my blogger site.... www.thecinderellamom.blogspot.com  I hope to get to use my custom domain again soon....

How aggravating! I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling. I hope you can get your custom domain back too. At least you still have a good looking blog to post to in the meantime, so you can keep moving forward.

I send you my best wishes for the future :)

I don't know much about hosting or anything, since I'm new, but I use WordPress. It is very easy for a newbie like myself to use, so I like it. :)

Hi Keisha,

WordPress is a software that runs your website. You can have your website hosted for free on wordpress.com but you have to abide by their advertising policies. You can also have a self hosted site with a wordpress blog on hosts such as Hostgator, Bluehost and Godaddy. (though I never recommend Godaddy) It costs a few dollars a mount and whether many make the investment in hosting is usually based on whether they want to advertise or not (sidebar ads, affiliate links, sponsored posts, etc)

Vanita

Hey Cinderella Mom, you don't need to transfer your domain name to hostgator to host your blog there. It's a matter of changing your nameservers to point to the hostgator hosting instead of BLogger. many bloggers who bought their domain name through google from their blogger dashboard go this route. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with WordPress. are you referring to wordpress.com or wordpress on your hosting package?

Vanita

Cinderella Mom said:

Thanks Tawny!  I did purchase a host package with hostgator, however, I'm not "using" them as I could not get my custom domain released from google and was frustrated with the wordpress blog I had to set up.  So, for now I am sticking with my blogger site.... www.thecinderellamom.blogspot.com  I hope to get to use my custom domain again soon....

Hi Vanita

Just curious when you said you never recommend GoDaddy. May I ask why? my site is currently hosted with them. I would like a heads up if get into any trouble with them in future :)

Thanks

www.momlessmom.com

Vanita said:

Hi Keisha,

WordPress is a software that runs your website. You can have your website hosted for free on wordpress.com but you have to abide by their advertising policies. You can also have a self hosted site with a wordpress blog on hosts such as Hostgator, Bluehost and Godaddy. (though I never recommend Godaddy) It costs a few dollars a mount and whether many make the investment in hosting is usually based on whether they want to advertise or not (sidebar ads, affiliate links, sponsored posts, etc)

Vanita

Hi Vinma,

I hosted my blog AfterBedtimeBlog.com on Godaddy for over two years. Godaddy's service has absolutely deteriorated over the years and wasn't worth the cost of hosting with them. Service went down several times for myself and others who hosted on the same server with me. THen there was the time that Godaddy was down for two days. I've actually moved a few blogs from Godaddy to either Hostgator or Bluehost over the past year because other bloggers weren't happy with them. I really feel for those who do not know how to fix wordpress issues themselves because godaddy tech support will charge you an arm and a leg to help you. (at least the other two hosts will point you to resources to do it yourself)

My last beef with godaddy is their security. Though I paid for protection for two years, when I moved my blog I had to download the files to my computer to upload to the new hosting. I have a virus scan software on my computer. There were 3 viruses on my site that my software caught that I paid godaddy to protect me from.

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Hi Vanita

Just curious when you said you never recommend GoDaddy. May I ask why? my site is currently hosted with them. I would like a heads up if get into any trouble with them in future :)

Thanks

www.momlessmom.com

Vanita said:

Hi Keisha,

Vanita

Oh my gosh! That is horrible! Thanks for sharing this with me. I have read your blog from before, Strategic Mamma, and I actually book marked one or two of your pages :) As you can appreciate, I am really new in this field and still learning the ropes. I was with Blogger before and then a month ago, changed my blog to WP. As per the advise of few other blogger friends, I went with GO Daddy at the time. If I knew all this then, I wouldn't have made that decision in an instant and would have done some research.. now that I am stuck, I am going to stay until the renewal and see where it takes me... Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate this!

Vinma

Vanita said:

Hi Vinma,

I hosted my blog AfterBedtimeBlog.com on Godaddy for over two years. Godaddy's service has absolutely deteriorated over the years and wasn't worth the cost of hosting with them. Service went down several times for myself and others who hosted on the same server with me. THen there was the time that Godaddy was down for two days. I've actually moved a few blogs from Godaddy to either Hostgator or Bluehost over the past year because other bloggers weren't happy with them. I really feel for those who do not know how to fix wordpress issues themselves because godaddy tech support will charge you an arm and a leg to help you. (at least the other two hosts will point you to resources to do it yourself)

My last beef with godaddy is their security. Though I paid for protection for two years, when I moved my blog I had to download the files to my computer to upload to the new hosting. I have a virus scan software on my computer. There were 3 viruses on my site that my software caught that I paid godaddy to protect me from.

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Hi Vanita

Thanks

www.momlessmom.com

Vanita said:

Hi Keisha,

Vanita

Yes girl, no need to rush offer to another host, but be sure to protect yourself - a good plugin for security is Better WP Security. It's a pain in the butt to configure but it's worth it.
And thanks for stopping by the strategic mama. Being a new blogger, i think you'd find this post helpful, http://thestrategicmama.com/bounce-rate-definition-seo/

also i was a panelist for an seo webinar: "Making brands love your blog", and the replay is available on my blog for free, so be sure to drop on by again!

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Oh my gosh! That is horrible! Thanks for sharing this with me. I have read your blog from before, Strategic Mamma, and I actually book marked one or two of your pages :) As you can appreciate, I am really new in this field and still learning the ropes. I was with Blogger before and then a month ago, changed my blog to WP. As per the advise of few other blogger friends, I went with GO Daddy at the time. If I knew all this then, I wouldn't have made that decision in an instant and would have done some research.. now that I am stuck, I am going to stay until the renewal and see where it takes me... Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate this!

Vinma

Vanita said:

Hi Vinma,

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Hi Vanita

Thanks

www.momlessmom.com

Vanita said:

Hi Keisha,

Vanita

Vanita

Thank you for giving me the information that I really need at this time. I would definitely check it out :) I need to learn about SEO because I know I am not using them well at my place. I will totally check it out :) Thanks again. Have a good one!

Vanita said:

Yes girl, no need to rush offer to another host, but be sure to protect yourself - a good plugin for security is Better WP Security. It's a pain in the butt to configure but it's worth it.
And thanks for stopping by the strategic mama. Being a new blogger, i think you'd find this post helpful, http://thestrategicmama.com/bounce-rate-definition-seo/

also i was a panelist for an seo webinar: "Making brands love your blog", and the replay is available on my blog for free, so be sure to drop on by again!

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Vinma

Vanita said:

Hi Vinma,

Vanita

Vinma Joseph said:

Hi Vanita

Thanks

www.momlessmom.com

Vanita said:

Hi Keisha,

Vanita

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service