Advertisement

FOLLOW US

OUR BLOG

The Best Reasons to Start a New Blog

If you’re on the internet a lot, you’ll realize that it’s filled with blogs of all shapes, sizes, and stripes. Many are utilized by businesses as a way of extending their brand and pulling in more customers. Others are just people who are taking advantage of a platform so that they can put…

Getting to Know the Lactation Lab

Whether you’re a first-time mom or a…

OUR DAILY PINS

Advertisements

TRENDING BLOG POSTS

I am "under fire" at my kid's school about writing a blog-would love some support!

Apparently my son's elementary school office is up in arms about my blog mentioning them. As in they royally screwed up, I wrote a post about it, and another about how they are fixing it. So I wrote a post addressing the craziness, and would love some support from the mom bloggers out there! Just a comment in the post if you support a mom bloggers voice would be greatly appreciated! Here is the link... http://tinyurl.com/ksmm5h

The school got their act together and got him his trophy!

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok, I have a blog called Mom is Teaching and I frequently write about my school. And, so, with that, I had to say, "Is what I wrote true"" and their answer was "well...yes...kind of...well, yea I guess so". Then my answer was, go figure, if you did this why would you be embarrassed by it.

The way I figure it, they dropped the ball, they should own up to it. In my situation, it started immediately after my kid started kindergarten. We took a week long vacation and I didn't get "prior written approval" from the principal to take my kid out of school for a week. So, they send me a letter explaining that he would be marked unexcused and one more unexcused absence then I would be turned over to the truancy officer.

My reply to them and on my blog was "ok, I don't mind that it was marked unexcused, I messed up but it won't happen again". Then, they call me and tell me the same thing again and basically prompt me to beg the principal to change her mind. I didn't and I wouldn't. So, they called me again to tell me that if he were absent again that he would be marked unexcused. This mess went on for over a week. Finally, I said, in person and on my blog, "I do not care, he had been in school for a total of 3 weeks and I basically had not memorized the entire handbook.". Another phone call and another threat with truancy department. So, I blogged it again...you see this went on for 3 weeks like this................

Fast forward and they want to take my kid on a field trip to Birmingham Alabama. But, they said I couldn't go. Now, how in the heck are they going to tell me I can't go. They said it was the Alabama Ballet's rules, not there's. So again, I blogged it. This time, the Alabama Ballet emailed me to say, "this is not our rule". So, I go back to school with my email in hand and say, "now what?" Well, we bought the tickets last spring and there's not enough for parents to go. Fast forward, 3 months go by and I can't find not one parent who is letting their child go on this mysterious field trip.

We get another letter asking which kids are going and that parents can't go and that the Alabama Ballet has this rule. So, I wrote again and copied my email from Alabama Ballet. Still couldn't find anyone who was allowing their kids to go. Remember, they supposedly bought these tickets last spring.

So, I sent my letter in saying no my kid won't go. And, they have the nerve to send me a letter telling me that if he doesn't go he has to come to school and sit with a group of kids k-3 combined that were not going on the field trip. I explained that my son had his 6 year old check-up (this was about a week after his birthday) and his eye exam (he wears glasses) on that day. And, they had the nerve to send another letter to me telling me that I cannot just schedule his appointments on a day like that to avoid being sent to the truancy dept and that if he is not on the field trip or at school, they will turn me over.

I explained that they did not have a right to tell me when my kids appointments would be made. And, still I couldn't find anyone who was allowing their kid to go. And on top of all this, part of my reasoning was because they were going with a 1 adult to 15 kid ratio (Alabama Ballet's rule is 1 to 5) and my son is very out-going and if a stranger suggested to him that he was suppose to go with them, he would go. And, since there were 9 classes going, that could easily happen that someone he didn't know could do this and not be a teacher in another grade but a stranger indeed. And, then to top it all off, his teacher agreed with me that I had a valid point and she too could see my son doing this.

As it turned out, these tickets that were supposedly bought last spring must have just disappeared because out of the blue, they weren't going to the Alabama Ballet anymore. Again, I assume because there wasn't enough kids going....duh....

So, backing up a week or so, my son's b-day at school came the same week as 2 other kids. And, we were allowed to bring snack at snack time. I suggested that the kids didn't need cupcakes and the such 3 times in one week. His teacher said no that it was fine, 3 parties was fine. (I am only telling you this to prep you for the next part).

Then, before I know it, I get a letter from school saying that the kids will be getting candy as a reward each day for reward for good behavior. I let it ride a couple of weeks but my kid simply has never received that much candy ever and I didn't like it in the first place, but I tried to just let it go. But, my kid was coming home a wild man every day.

So, off to the school I go, I explain this to the principal and explain that I know it is against board policy for them to do this (I taught in this system myself, plus I owned a daycare which was governed by the same wellness policy and nutritional guidelines). She told me I was wrong and that it was not a policy. She said that she would tell his teacher that he could have a sticker or something instead of candy. I said, "No you won't giver every kid in that room candy and not let mine have it just because of this."

So, off to the board I go. I get the man who controls the wellness policy and the nutritional policy. He verifies that it is against the rules and he will let them know. That afternoon we get a note stating "we appreciate all the help of our volunteers (which didn't include me for the previous few months as I had a broken leg in a cast) but that due to a parent complaint then they would not be allowed to give the kids candy for snacks nor would they be able to have anymore b-day parties during snack.

So, here we go again. I was really pissed about the wording of the letter but I didn't mention that, I only mentioned that the b-day parties were not the issue. And, that I had even tried to combine 3 in to 1 earlier to keep the kids from having cupcakes and junk 3 times in one week earlier in the year. So, they re-instate the bday party rule.

I'm blogging all this. Leaving out no details. The truth, it sometimes stings a little bit.

Next thing I know, they are going to the zoo in Tupelo Miss. Then, they aren't going on the scheduled day b/c the weather was predicted to be bad. As it turned out, my kid had a fever that day and didn't go to school. They call me about 11 to tell me that school is getting out at 1 b/c of the weather and I need to pick him up early. Hello...he isn't there.....wtf?

Fast forward, the zoo trip to Tupelo is planned for a later date. Three days before that, we get a note saying they aren't going to the zoo because they can't travel out of state. Now I hate to be all snarky here but "did they not realize that Tupelo as in another state when they originally scheduled this field trip?"

I blogged it. They were pissed. But, the truth is the truth. Sorry.

Next thing I know, instead of going to the zoo, a highly educational trip, I get a note saying they are going bowling - hum....math skills? I dunno but I fail to see the correlation. School is almost out so I say nothing and let it be.

I blog it all. They are unhappy. And, I've gone as far as to say on my blog that if my son is put in a particular teachers classroom next year (she yells all the time, and doesn't even care who is around, she yells, tells the kids to suck it up if they have an assignment they can't do or get in trouble ) that we will either homeschool or we will move to another school.

And, here comes another letter telling me that they can't guarantee that he won't be in this particular teachers room (leaving me with the impression that he will be put in her room just to prove a point to me) and that I can't just transfer him for no reason. Well, we have no zoning laws here, he has a choice of about 5 schools as long as I am willing to take him there. Two and three buses pass my house going to different schools, so I mean, come on....not that he is riding a bus anyway.

So, I blogged it all. They didn't like it at all. They got over it. Again, the truth stings and they never had a rebuttle, simply threats of truancy dept's and the "no transfer" policy. WHATEVER!

So, obviously now that I have written this novel, I'm sure you know how I feel about this, right?
I believe the entire nature of blogging is that it is your opinion and your entitled to it. Like I wrote in the response post on my blog, if you are upset over what I wrote take a look at your behavior-because all I'm doing is writing what happened!

That being said, got the news today that Tuesday is the big day and Gabriel will get a legit trophy and be honored at the closing awards assembly for the year. Wohoo! Shall absolutely blog about it! Threatening hubby to wear a shirt that says "be nice to me or i'll write about it on my blog!"
Excited to report that my son will be receiving a proper trophy tomorrow! Nervous about going into the "lion's den" to watch him get it!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service