The funniest and yet saddest thing I have heard this week .... "I hate the media storm stuff." "I did not sign up for public scrutiny of everything and neither did Kate" Yes! I got sucked into watching the family drama and tragedy that is Jon and Kate Plus Eight.Uggh. It's like watching an accident on the side of the road. You know it is going to hurt your heart, but you just can't help peeking.
As sad as it is to see a family being put under the microscope and to be torn over rumors and attitudes, I can't help but think ... no scream ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! When you take your children and your family and put them in front of a camera crew for all their waking hours and then take a very large paycheck from an entertainment company, that is exactly what you are doing. You are being paid to open yourself and your family up to scrutiny!

I am not trying to be holier than thou here. I will admit that I could fall easily for the sales pitch from TLC or any other company that would be enticing us into signing on to some program like Life with Nesbitts! It is what so many dream of... fame, financial security, attention and a chance to show off your beautiful kids! Yes, I will admit I would probably jump at this opportunity to take care of all of us in a big way.

On the flip side of that, I would hope I realized there is always a trade off and a price to pay. As I watched Jon and Kate this evening (stop laughing! I missed Survivor this season and this is my substitute fix) the feeling was sad and uncomfortable. I admit, I kept switching between that and HGTV's Property Virgins, who need to change their name by the way, so I can watch it with my 11 year old HGTV fanatic! I would rather watch the struggle of mortgages and dropping real estate values than watching the struggle of a marriage and a family to stay upright and functional.

I am curious ... what did you think? If you didn't see the show or never had (like me until last night) what do you think of all this instant fame these reality stars get? Bernadette, are you out there? I would love your opinion on this one!!

Me? I think of fame and fortune as I do anorexia. I would love to have a little bit of it for little while, but don't want to commit to it for life!

Peace,

K

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think they are getting what they deserve. If you get paid to live in the public eye, you have to take the good with the bad. Although I would love to have the money, I wouldn't sell my family like that. I don't even post photos of them or use their names on my blog.
I feel like this. If you post anything about your family online, whether it is a story or photos, that is a form of reality tv. (Based solely on the internet.) We, as mommy bloggers, are opening up ourselves for scrutiny from readers and random passers. The only difference? We aren't getting paid to be scrutinized by strangers. The ugly comments that some of us receive are given to us by people who read our blog entries and feel like they know enough about us, or our situation, to leave a comment.

The same thing is happening with Jon and Kate. Because they have allowed their sextuplets entire life to be filmed in front of a camera, they are in our livingroom on a regular basis. We feel as if we know them because we see them all of the time. They knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided to be the "star" of their own reality show. To complain about all of the negativity that surrounds them, but still accept a paycheck, is just whining to me. If they wanted everyone out of their business, then they should step away from the camera and make the fifth season their last season.

I think reality stars are the next celebrities. Why? Because we get to see them as they are. In the raw. We can find something in a reality star that we can relate too; that we identify with.

Would I jump at the chance to be on a reality tv show? Absolutely. It would provide a steady income for me to secure my children's future. Would I know what I was getting myself into by signing our lives over to a camera crew? Absolutely. I would take the bad with the good in order to provide for my sons. Would I complain incessantly about being scrutinized by the public? Absolutely not. I know what I signed up for and I would have no choice but to roll with the punches.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Summer Travel

Will you and your family take a vacation this year? Where are you going? What are your favorite travel tips for families? Share in our forum.

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service