I've been contacted by a company about doing a review or giveaway of their product. I've only done two giveaways on my blog; one of which I paid for, and another in which the company posted on Twitter that they were looking for reviewers. This is the first time a company has sought me out.

Here is my question: In the email, it sounds as though they want me to either give away a product OR review it. I'm not comfortable simply giving a company free advertisement and not benefit from it myself, so doing a giveaway without me reviewing a product seems pointless. And I don't like doing reviews without a giveaway, it seems like I'm cheating my readers out of getting something cool :)

So here's what I'd like to write back, tell me if this seems too harsh:

I would be interested in working with your company, however, I have a couple questions. If I were to host a giveaway, would I be given the product to review myself? I am not comfortable telling my readers about a product that I do not have first hand knowledge of. Also, what kind of product would be given away? You mentioned that it was Home Decor or Kitchenware, but I would like more information to see if it is something that is related to what my blog is about. I don't want to review/giveaway something that is unrelated to anything I have posted about or anything that I think my readers wouldn't be interested in.

And so on. Let me know what you think and if that's appropriate.

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Often companies are on a tight marketing budget, so offering an item as a giveaway is visible for them. For you, the benefit would be #1 most company show off all press on their website (so you would get a link back) and the traffic that comes from hosting giveaways.
Absolutely appropriate! You want to be sure to get the details before you commit to something!

Also, if you want more reviews or posts to do, I'm looking for some mom bloggers to talk about MissTutu.com

Jenn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Be a Part of Something Special for Social Good

We are putting together one of the largest projects on behalf of the world's poorest mothers, newborns, and children and need your help. JOIN OUR PRIVATE GROUP to learn more and to get involved.

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service