I have done some blogging in the past but haven't done much with it lately -- but I often think about going back to it.  I'm thinking with the new year it might be a good time to try a reboot of sorts :-)

But I want to take a more "serious" approach this time around -- I would like to set up a domain name and have a host so I have more flexibility.  So I could use some advice about a really good (and not very expensive!!) host.

My previous blogging experience was mostly focused on my role as a mom.  I don't necessarily want to get rid of that aspect since it is a huge part of who I am and what I do.  But I was also thinking of giving the blog more focus by gearing it towards moms (and kids) in our local area (a suburb of Saint Louis, MO) providing information about events, activities, etc. here and in nearby suburbs.  Most of the blogs I've seen that do this focus on Saint Louis in general.  So I thought something more local (with a bit of Saint Louis stuff) might be good.

I'm excited about this idea but have no idea how to let people know about it, especially local people who might be interested in the information and have things to contribute (once I get it up and going, of course).  Thoughts?

Should I have some kind of calendar function?  If so, is there an easy way to do that without knowing a lot of coding?

I think I need some good advice or a mentor -- LOL!

Marie

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've done good on twitter, great following with my positive affirmations.  The ability of being to help others, you can let people know about it through facebook, twitter, and many other social medias availabe to get yourself started.

If its related to moms and kids, there are certain mom group out there.  One of then that I am a part of is www.cafemom.com and it national.  Its complimentary or free and you might want to check it out.

Marie,

I JUST started blogging less than two weeks ago.  My blog is www.highlandsranchmom.com.  I think it is similar to what you are wanting to do.  It is about events in my town as well as life as a mom to a one year old boy.  You can follow it.  I use blogger and my hubby bought the domain from godaddy.com (i think they have a sale where it is $1 for a year).  He has it set up so it redirects to my blog.  If you have any other questions please let me know.  I haven't started advertising but I will probably do that soon.  I have just told a few people about it and joined this club and I already have over 400 pageviews.

It is so fun blogging about our local community - you are going to love it!

Have a great weekend!

Melissa:

How safe is it for you to do a blog?  I have rev'd some blogs and moms put their personal info like their kids name, where they are from to connect with other moms.  Maybe it just me, but there are such desperate times out there in today's society unfortunately, we all as moms just need to be careful on what's put on the websites.  Especially with the pedifiler out there that can sign up to any of these blogs with bogus username and check you out, it might sound sickening but it the truth. 

I am admin for a group here in my area in southwest florida and before I accept the moms to my group.  I check their profile and then invite them for a playdate to check them out.  I just need your input about creating a personal blog and what your experience been so far.  I am just so careful with who i share my personal info with cuz none of us know what's out there.

Hope you understand and we can become friends.  Flora

Melissa said:

Marie,

I JUST started blogging less than two weeks ago.  My blog is www.highlandsranchmom.com.  I think it is similar to what you are wanting to do.  It is about events in my town as well as life as a mom to a one year old boy.  You can follow it.  I use blogger and my hubby bought the domain from godaddy.com (i think they have a sale where it is $1 for a year).  He has it set up so it redirects to my blog.  If you have any other questions please let me know.  I haven't started advertising but I will probably do that soon.  I have just told a few people about it and joined this club and I already have over 400 pageviews.

Have a great weekend!

I know.  I am probably the only person in America without a facebook page.  I am a really private person so starting a blog is out of my comfort zone to begin with.  So far it has been great!  I don't share too much personal info, my blog is mostly about my town.

Flora Sanchez said:

Melissa:

How safe is it for you to do a blog?  I have rev'd some blogs and moms put their personal info like their kids name, where they are from to connect with other moms.  Maybe it just me, but there are such desperate times out there in today's society unfortunately, we all as moms just need to be careful on what's put on the websites.  Especially with the pedifiler out there that can sign up to any of these blogs with bogus username and check you out, it might sound sickening but it the truth.

I am admin for a group here in my area in southwest florida and before I accept the moms to my group.  I check their profile and then invite them for a playdate to check them out.  I just need your input about creating a personal blog and what your experience been so far.  I am just so careful with who i share my personal info with cuz none of us know what's out there.

Melissa said:

Marie,

Have a great weekend!

Melissa:  Please do not feel bad about not having a facebook page.  What I do like about facebook is there privacy in your page.  You don't have to accept them if you don't wan to.  When I come accross a person that add me as friend in facebook not so good you have either the option of not accepting them or deleting them.  There a lot of privacy and good things about using facebook.

Melissa said:

I know.  I am probably the only person in America without a facebook page.  I am a really private person so starting a blog is out of my comfort zone to begin with.  So far it has been great!  I don't share too much personal info, my blog is mostly about my town.

Flora Sanchez said:

Melissa:

Melissa said:

Marie,

Have a great weekend!

I bought my domain name through blogger.  I believe it is $10 a year, very affordable!  I've had my blog for five years now, and I love it.  I love to write, and it's a great outlet for me.  I do some reviews every now and then and host a few giveaways, but it's mostly a personal blog.  If you want to make money on your blog, I'm not the one to give advice, but if it's just for information and interest, then I think you can't go wrong with blogger.  If you want to promote it, you can do so through twitter and facebook as well as visiting as many blogs as you can and commenting to generate traffic to your blog.  Hope that helps.  Some of these responses seem a little off topic.  Come visit me, and when you're up and running, come leave your link for me.  Thanks!  http://www.forgetfulone.com

Marie I think that sounds like a great idea.  I think that my blog post about Creative Ways to Promote your Blog Offlinewould be very helpful to you since you are looking to gain more readership in your local area.  Check it out and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Danielle

Mom Blogger Basics
and
The Mommy Chronicles

Hi Danielle --

I read your blog post and it's really informative, thank you!  It has a lot of great ideas that I hadn't thought about actually and I am going to bookmark it so I can refer back to it. 

Do you have any advice about how to select a blog host?  I want to set up my own domain and have the blog hosted but have no idea where to start -- the reviews are so varied as to who is a good host or not!

Marie

Danielle Maynard said:

Marie I think that sounds like a great idea.  I think that my blog post about Creative Ways to Promote your Blog Offlinewould be very helpful to you since you are looking to gain more readership in your local area.  Check it out and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Danielle

Mom Blogger Basics
and
The Mommy Chronicles

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service