Got a question for all the moms out there--what chores do you have your kids do every day?  I'm looking for some opinions because my boys (ages 8 and 9) are complaining and whining about their chores as if they are the ONLY kids out there that do chores.  I know that isn't the case...so can you tell me what your kids do, please?  Thanks!

:) Michelle

Tags: chores, kids

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My boys are 4 and 7 (in 2 days!)

They do basically the same chores-the older one is just a bit better so I expect a bit better outcome from him.

Their chores are as follows:

• clear dishes from table
  • clean table (with brush and soapy water-it has grooves in it-I don't know what I was thinking buying it! LOL)
  • Put up silverware out of dishwasher
  • help sweep or mop or both (kitchen only)
  • pick up toys and take them to the playroom before bedtime or guest arrive
  • make sure classroom is clean and everything in it's place daily
  • clean their bathroom (with clorox wipe on counter & sink-no cleaner in bowl-just swish the brush)
  • Keep their room clean (my oldest is a bit of a hoarder so this is a struggle)
  • Help with laundry (usually just transfer of laundry from washer to dryer and dryer to basket & put away their clothes)

They do other things too but that's the 'daily' list. I'm working on making keeping the playroom clean as part of the daily list but I'm so busy *I* can't keep up with them to do it daily, so we usually clean the playroom weekly-ish. I have a good system in place for organizing it, but when they take their toys backtot eh playroom they just toss them anywhere...we need to work on that!

And you can tell your boys-mine don't get paid for chores either :)

I always try to give them choices.  I'll write down four chores, 1 unload dishwasher, 2 feed the dog, 3. vacum under the couch cushions, 4. spray and wipe all the bathroom counters and mirrors.  They have to pick two chores.  And when the chores are done they get 30 minutes of tv or computer time.  Most of the time it works pretty well...most of the time. good luck

Thanks for the input, ladies! :)  Very helpful!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Maybe I should add we homeschool-so they are both home all day long. When my oldest attended public school, he didn't have as many chores as he does now. LOL

Thought maybe you did, since you said he cleaned the classroom. ;)  Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up there, though--and you have given me some ideas as to what my kids should definitely be capable of age-wise.

BTW--happy birthday to your boy (in advance)! :)

Sontia Lewis said:

Maybe I should add we homeschool-so they are both home all day long. When my oldest attended public school, he didn't have as many chores as he does now. LOL

Haha-well duh-yeah I guess that is a bit of a giveaway! LOL I don't even notice sometimes when I say things that giveaway that we homeschool...silly me!

Age-wise-kids can do a lot more than we often give them credit for. My kids have had chores since they could walk! They can clean the bathroom from the time they are 2 (at that age I handed them a baby wipe to clean it with-now they use Clorox wipes), help by rinsing dishes by the time they are 3, my oldest takes out the trash sometimes, they only thing I don't let them do is vacuum cause I have a very expensive vacuum cleaner LOL

Granted they don't do these things as well as an adult would, but I only have to clean their bathroom once every week or two-they clean it daily and it stays company ready at all times. They are old enough to handle a daily wipedown-but not the weekly 'deep clean' but it sure makes my weekly deep clean easier.

A steam mop is great for letting kids help mop floors-they couldn't help mop before I got it-they wouldn't ring the mop out good and the floor would be SOAKED in water-but with a steam mop-even my 4 year old can help mop the kitchen now! Love it!

If you clean along side them until they learn what to do-they can do a lot. My oldest can make a bed by himself, could sine he was 5-6ish.

Michelle Robinson said:

Thought maybe you did, since you said he cleaned the classroom. ;)  Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up there, though--and you have given me some ideas as to what my kids should definitely be capable of age-wise.

Sontia Lewis said:

You make me feel soooo much better about having my kids do chores!  I think they are capable, too--and so does my husband--but it seems like so many parents and families around here just don't bother with having their kids do chores.  So my kids' friends don't really do any.  I'm getting tired of my kids being lazy slobs, though.  Not to sound mean, but that's pretty much the case!  

I think I'm going to get them started this weekend.  I've had them help me with stuff before, so it isn't like they are clueless, but they just don't do anything.  So this weekend we'll get started.  I might grab the idea that the other person who posted here had (Diana).  I think I'll tweak it a bit, though...maybe I'll write down the chores that the boys are capable of doing on index cards and have them choose a certain number to do.  I think that giving them a choice might help, at least a bit.

Anyway, thanks so much for your input.  I just visited your blog and now I'm following you on NetworkedBlogs, Facebook, and Twitter, and I signed up for your email updates.  Wow, when I type it out like that it sounds like I'm stalking you! LOLOL  If you want to visit mine, I'm at http://frugalfunfamily.com.

Take care and thanks again!

Sontia Lewis said:

Haha-well duh-yeah I guess that is a bit of a giveaway! LOL I don't even notice sometimes when I say things that giveaway that we homeschool...silly me!

Age-wise-kids can do a lot more than we often give them credit for. My kids have had chores since they could walk! They can clean the bathroom from the time they are 2 (at that age I handed them a baby wipe to clean it with-now they use Clorox wipes), help by rinsing dishes by the time they are 3, my oldest takes out the trash sometimes, they only thing I don't let them do is vacuum cause I have a very expensive vacuum cleaner LOL

Granted they don't do these things as well as an adult would, but I only have to clean their bathroom once every week or two-they clean it daily and it stays company ready at all times. They are old enough to handle a daily wipedown-but not the weekly 'deep clean' but it sure makes my weekly deep clean easier.

A steam mop is great for letting kids help mop floors-they couldn't help mop before I got it-they wouldn't ring the mop out good and the floor would be SOAKED in water-but with a steam mop-even my 4 year old can help mop the kitchen now! Love it!

If you clean along side them until they learn what to do-they can do a lot. My oldest can make a bed by himself, could sine he was 5-6ish.

Michelle Robinson said:

Sontia Lewis said:

I have a chart where some chores rotate between my three older ones who are 10, 8 and 6.My youngest one is only 2 so he gets a pass for now, lol. The two girls are responsible for emptying the dishwasher each day. My son is responsible for feeding the cat and the dog each day.They take turns each night cleaning the bathroom and are each responsible for making sure their rooms are picked up. My son is responsible for vacuuming each week and helping with the trash. My kids homeschool as well though so they are home all day.

Thanks for the reply, Alaina. :)  And yeah, I guess your youngest should get a pass for now. LOL

I'm glad to hear that your kids are cleaning the bathroom, too!  Now that I see that other moms are having their kids clean the bathroom, I don't feel like I'm being too out there by having mine do it.  I've heard some moms (mainly at my boys' school) comment that they think it is too gross or whatever to have the kids clean the bathroom.  I figure that by making them do it, it makes them more responsible about aiming (hope that isn't too graphic there, LOL!).

Any tips on getting your kids to actually keep their rooms clean?  Mine are supposed to...but they just don't seem to get it, you know?

Alaina Forbes said:

I have a chart where some chores rotate between my three older ones who are 10, 8 and 6.My youngest one is only 2 so he gets a pass for now, lol. The two girls are responsible for emptying the dishwasher each day. My son is responsible for feeding the cat and the dog each day.They take turns each night cleaning the bathroom and are each responsible for making sure their rooms are picked up. My son is responsible for vacuuming each week and helping with the trash. My kids homeschool as well though so they are home all day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

10/24/14 BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service