If you want to post a recipe you got from somewhere else, as opposed to having created yourself, how do you cite it? I looked up the law and this is what it says:

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection."

So I don't know if I can reprint recipes or not. I would always cite the source anyway, but I don't want to be breaking any laws or upsetting people. So I was wondering what other people do????

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always cite the source and link to the source of the original recipe. (I've seen some people use a clickable picture of the food as the link with no mention of the source--I think that's kind of shady.) So to be on the safe side, I always use my own pictures, too.

That explanation of the specific law is way over my head! Maybe someone else can explain it better!
That's what I wanted to do, but just thought I would check with some others to see if it was something obvious. The wording is over my head too!
As someone who has had her recipes "stolen", I encourage you to always link to the recipe or website if at all possible. I personally can't stand it when someone takes my recipe and doesn't mention me...especially since many of them are my own family recipes.

;)

I think it's great that you are asking!
See, that's exactly what I don't want to do to people. I would like to think that people benefit from having their recipes posted with credit and a link.... Thanks for the input Lori, it's good to hear from someone who has been on the other side.
When I started my food blog at ClubMom a few years back, I emailed the food editor at the Denver Post. She told me that recipes are not subject to copyright protection and you can reprint them, just make sure to reference the author and cookbook or magazine. That being said, I've been told by food bloggers that it's o.k. to reprint their recipes as long as you link back and give them full credit. You cannot use their photos without permission, however. Also, there's kind of an unwritten rules that food bloggers don't like their recipes copied, even with full credit, without you putting "your own 2 cents" in - for example putting in comments how you'd cook the dish or make it lower calorie or more healthy.

But when in doubt, ask permission. Most food bloggers are very cool about granting it. I do some recipe roundups for FoodieView blog and while we only link to recipes, we do use pictures - as long as we get permission from the blogger.
Wow! Thanks for this information! It's exactly what I was looking for!

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service