I'm trying to increase my blog traffic.  What is the best way to do it? Love to hear some tips from seasoned bloggers!  

Tags: blog, help, increase, traffic

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the same question. I have heard about promoting your site, give aways and being yourself crap.. But really, none of this stuff works. How do people end up with thousands of followers???
... adding some more information...

Ask yourself some questions:

- WHY do you blog? Is it to get followers, make money, or to have a voice/outlet for your thoughts?

- Why do your CURRENT READERS read? If they read because they are your friends In Real Life, then when you run out of IRL friends, you won't have many more followers! If they read because you have something interesting to say, offer giveaways, etc. then you need to keep having interesting things to say, offering giveaways, etc. If you're writing for yourself, go ahead and write whatever you want... but if you want to attract readers, you need to be writing as much for THEM as you're writing for yourself.

- What promises have you made? Did you promise to post weekly? Daily? Did you promise to have a certain kind of post once a week (a review, a recipe, a tutorial). If you make these kinds of promises and don't keep them, your credibility is lost, and so are your readers. Don't apologize for not doing it - JUST DO IT! If you keep apologizing, and promising to do it "next time" but don't - you're just compounding the problem.

- Do you make it easy for me? If I come to your site, and love what I see, do you make it easy for me to stay in touch? If you have a "followers" button, then I can follow you, and you'll automatically show up in my Google Reader. If you point me to your RSS feed, then I can do it myself. If you don't make it easy, then I need to grab your RSS myself, or add you into my Google Reader myself... and though I may do it... you're making it harder for me. Any time you make it harder for your readers to follow you, they're less likely to.

- How hard is it to read your posts? Do you ramble? Do you have run-on sentences? Have you capitalized the beginnings of sentences, used proper punctuation, and spelled things properly? I'm not saying you need to be a grammar-wizard, but if it looks like you didn't even bother to proofread your post before putting it up, why should I read it? There are some people out there (myself and my husband included) who find it painful to read mucked-up sentences. I'm not talking about ESL here - my entire family is from out of the US, and I have English as a Second Language... I'm talking about people who don't realize that those squiggly red lines under words mean, You've spelled it wrong, please right-click on me to find the right spelling!"

- Check out the "competition." If you could have your blog "magically" be like another blog out there... which one would it be? Go check out their site... start taking note of the things you really love about their blog. Is it the design? The way they write? The things they write about? Start incorporating those things into your blog. DO NOT JUST COPY THEIR BLOG! You need to have your own style, and your own way of doing it... but you can use their blog as an inspiration.

If you're serious about growing/improving your blog, you really should check out Darren Rowse's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog. It is free, it takes 15-30 min a day for a month, and you learn a lot:

http://www.problogger.net/31-days-to-build-a-better-blog-join-9100-...

One last thing... give it time! You're not going to get to 1000 followers/hits in a single day. It takes time. Set goals. Work towards those goals. Be patient.

Sorry if this is a rant... I'm just a little frustrated with people {not you guys} complaining and not taking action... Complaining is easy... but not as satisfying as the results you get from putting some work into it.

Carolina
http://expectmoore.blogspot.com
This is awesome advice . . .Thanks a ton!
Thank you Carolina, these are great tips. I have been working very hard for the past couple of months on networking, etc. and I have done almost all of the things you suggest.....and it works! I will definitely read the article you linked to. I have already learned so much about html from other bloggers, and it seems like I am learning every day.

Thanks again for all of your advice, it is highly appreciated.

Carolina Moore said:
... adding some more information...

Ask yourself some questions:

- WHY do you blog? Is it to get followers, make money, or to have a voice/outlet for your thoughts?

- Why do your CURRENT READERS read? If they read because they are your friends In Real Life, then when you run out of IRL friends, you won't have many more followers! If they read because you have something interesting to say, offer giveaways, etc. then you need to keep having interesting things to say, offering giveaways, etc. If you're writing for yourself, go ahead and write whatever you want... but if you want to attract readers, you need to be writing as much for THEM as you're writing for yourself.

- What promises have you made? Did you promise to post weekly? Daily? Did you promise to have a certain kind of post once a week (a review, a recipe, a tutorial). If you make these kinds of promises and don't keep them, your credibility is lost, and so are your readers. Don't apologize for not doing it - JUST DO IT! If you keep apologizing, and promising to do it "next time" but don't - you're just compounding the problem.

- Do you make it easy for me? If I come to your site, and love what I see, do you make it easy for me to stay in touch? If you have a "followers" button, then I can follow you, and you'll automatically show up in my Google Reader. If you point me to your RSS feed, then I can do it myself. If you don't make it easy, then I need to grab your RSS myself, or add you into my Google Reader myself... and though I may do it... you're making it harder for me. Any time you make it harder for your readers to follow you, they're less likely to.

- How hard is it to read your posts? Do you ramble? Do you have run-on sentences? Have you capitalized the beginnings of sentences, used proper punctuation, and spelled things properly? I'm not saying you need to be a grammar-wizard, but if it looks like you didn't even bother to proofread your post before putting it up, why should I read it? There are some people out there (myself and my husband included) who find it painful to read mucked-up sentences. I'm not talking about ESL here - my entire family is from out of the US, and I have English as a Second Language... I'm talking about people who don't realize that those squiggly red lines under words mean, You've spelled it wrong, please right-click on me to find the right spelling!"

- Check out the "competition." If you could have your blog "magically" be like another blog out there... which one would it be? Go check out their site... start taking note of the things you really love about their blog. Is it the design? The way they write? The things they write about? Start incorporating those things into your blog. DO NOT JUST COPY THEIR BLOG! You need to have your own style, and your own way of doing it... but you can use their blog as an inspiration.

If you're serious about growing/improving your blog, you really should check out Darren Rowse's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog. It is free, it takes 15-30 min a day for a month, and you learn a lot:

http://www.problogger.net/31-days-to-build-a-better-blog-join-9100-...

One last thing... give it time! You're not going to get to 1000 followers/hits in a single day. It takes time. Set goals. Work towards those goals. Be patient.

Sorry if this is a rant... I'm just a little frustrated with people {not you guys} complaining and not taking action... Complaining is easy... but not as satisfying as the results you get from putting some work into it.

Carolina
http://expectmoore.blogspot.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/19/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service