Okay so I admit, I'm new to blogging.  I've never really read too many before, but lately I've been delving into the wonderful world of blogging.  One thing that I like to check out is the Blog's Alexa Ranking to see how well they are doing (it gives me hope for mine) and I'm shocked at how many blogs that I see that have a high ranking and are using Blogger. 

I have never used Blogger, but it's my understanding that if you use it then you don't own the domain name right??  If I'm right, then why work so hard to get that ranking when you don't even own it?  Especially when it's so easy to buy your own domain name and your own hosting.  There are lot of good hosting companies out there that you can get plans that are $5 a month. 

Host Gator, Blue Host, Go Daddy to name a few.  You can buy the domain name through them, they all have an easy wizard that installs Wordpress for you and your set.  Plus wordpress has a lot of plug ins if you ever want to expand your blog to include a community, forum, seo, etc it's unlimited.

The great thing about having your own hosting is if your blog does start getting a lot of traffic you can have them move it to a virtual server, so your site can handle it without slowing down.

I've also heard stories about Blogger deleting peoples blogs, which I guess they can do because they own it.

Anyway, I hate to see all your hard work go to waste.  It's really worth paying $5 a month to host your own blog.

What do you think?

Tags: blogger, hosting, wordpress

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i am using blogspot.. and i bought my own domain from them too..

http://reanaclaire.com

but im interested to change to my own self host one day.. Is Go Daddy reliable?  My blog is PR3 at the moment, and I worry that it will be 0 once i changed..

That's good that you own your own domain.  I see your point, since Google owns Blog Spot and they are also the ones that calculate Page Rank.  I don't know, but I would guess that Google would automatically index blogs on blog spot since they own it??  Of course, google offers Google Webmaster tools so you can submit site maps and see how Google sees your site, even if you don't use Blog Spot. 

It seems that Google's Page Rank has a lot to do with the number of sites that link to your site and since you own your own domain, if you switched hosts it wouldn't mess up all those links to you.  So I would think that as long as you have a site map and you submit it to Google (via Google Webmaster) then it wouldn't change your page rank at all.  Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject or someone who's done it has more to say on the subject.

I think, though, the most important thing is that you own your own domain, so you can switch hosts and still have the same url.  What I was seeing was a lot of sites with high rankings that are just a sub domain of blog spot ( example:  http://thisismyblog.blogspot.com) and I couldn't understand that.  If they moved hosts they'd lose everything.  I was just wondering why they would do that.

I just recently moved hosts, I was using Network Solutions to host my site and it was incredibly slow.  After at least 2 months of hacking away at my site to make it lighter, it still didn't speed up too much, so I decided to change hosts.  I looked into Blue hosts, Go Daddy, and Host Gator... I think they are probably the top 3 and biggest.  I went with Host Gator just because they had a service where they will move your website for you and they gave me a month free to test it out.  After I moved it, it was a whole lot faster.  One day, I hope to need need my own Virtual Server and if that day does come I might go with Go Daddy because it was cheaper. 

Although I hate to say it, I think there is a definite advantage with a bigger company because since they have more business they can afford the newest and best equipment and can offer it a lower price...at least that has been my experience.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Go Daddy. 

The only thing I liked about Network Solutions over Host Gator is NS had automated backups of my site and with HG I have to do it myself.

Anyway, after changing hosts, my Alexa Ranking improved significantly.

You have a great Alexa Ranking, maybe you can give me some advice :)  I've only been at it a few months.  I spent quit a while learning some coding and website design before I started since I really like that kind of thing.

I adore WordPress.org! So glad I switched, Howeva... $5 a month? Were do I sign up! I am with Hostgator, who I love and ahem.. it is way more than $5 a month!

Leslie
Leslie Loves Veggies
http://leslielovesveggies.net/

I haven't had any issues. My rank is climbing steadily and I love my blogger blog.  I do have my own domain, but I don't pay for hosting.

I noticed that whenever I really like the way a blog looks, and how it is set up, it is a blogger not WP blog. I know the push is to WP, but I am not convinced.

As far as  the seo argument goes- I am doing really good so I don't see the incentive. If you are .blogspot though, I think it is more than worth it to get your own domain.

I use blogger without a domain name.  I do have one but just a bit lazy to set everything up.  While it may seem simple to "just pay $5 per month" for a blog there's more that goes into it besides that.  I use to host my own domains so I know having your own web host takes management even if your letting someone else do all the technical behind the scenes stuff. For me it's just easier to use blogger at this stage of my blogging life.

--
Nikki
------------------------------
-----------------
The Mommy Factor
blog ~ http://mommyfactor.blogspot.com/
twitter ~ http://twitter.com/mommyfactor

Well, I'm on the $5 a month plan but I'm sure I'm getting way less traffic than you.  You're probably on a virtual server, right?  or do you need even more.  I hope by the time I get to where you are that I will be making money to offset the costs :)

I'm using Joomla, but I have played around with Wordpress.

Leslie Mayorga said:

I adore WordPress.org! So glad I switched, Howeva... $5 a month? Were do I sign up! I am with Hostgator, who I love and ahem.. it is way more than $5 a month!

Leslie
Leslie Loves Veggies
http://leslielovesveggies.net/

I've looked at all your sites, and it's really encouraging to see that you all are having a lot of success.  It's nice to see others like me making it.

I really like creating.  I've spent a few months learning Joomla, html, css and I have a background in databases, so that is why I've gone the route I have.  I want it to be all mine.  :)

Hmm, this discussion has me really worried.  Since I am fairly new to the blogging world, I don't know much about the intricateness of each blog site.  For example, I use blogspot because I have gmail and go through Google.  However, I didn't know that I don't own my blog site name.  I will make sure I get it registered with GoDaddy.  But everything else really makes me wonder where to find all the details.  Please forgive my naivety but really, where did you learn all you know about blogging?

the most important thing is to own your own domain name.  then it doesn't matter too much if you start in blogger because you can always move it later on.  i've learned everything on the web.

if you go to http://www.blogelina.com  she has a $5 class about blogging that teaches you everything

Maryann G Rhodey said:
Hmm, this discussion has me really worried.  Since I am fairly new to the blogging world, I don't know much about the intricateness of each blog site.  For example, I use blogspot because I have gmail and go through Google.  However, I didn't know that I don't own my blog site name.  I will make sure I get it registered with GoDaddy.  But everything else really makes me wonder where to find all the details.  Please forgive my naivety but really, where did you learn all you know about blogging?
Thanks so much Brenda!

I am on blogspot. I have no desire to NOT be a blog. I am NOT a website, I am a blog. I want the blogspot on my url so that everyone knows this is a blog, and a human writes it every day. I also have no desire to move from blogger to WP because if it ain't broke I ain't fixin' it. I have thousands of subscribers, make money, am a member of several ad networks, participate in paid blogger programs, and have a page rank of 4. I haven't seen one *really* compelling reason to change platforms. That, and blogger has a dummy-proof interface, and I do not have to know html or css to do it, cuz I'm old and don't have room for that crap in my brain.

My background is as an ad agency creative director, and as a creative, and I have no issues with working with the parameters that blogger sets for doing a nice design. I am happy with status quo.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

11/20/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

Facebook Hop - Every Monday!

CATCH THE BUZZ

SPECIAL HELLO FROM FRAN!

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service