I have been using blogger and after hearing all of the rave reviews about hosting your own blog and using wordpress.org I convinced my husband that this was the best option for his site.  We bought the domain, paid for hosting, and got it all set up and neither of us can figure out a single thing.

I know how to post to it but that's about it.  My question is how in the world do you learn how to use wordpress.org???

I activate plugins but they don't show up on the mainpage, I can't figure out how to customize anything.  I'm beginning to wonder if this was a good idea.

I would really appreciate any feedback on how to learn how to use this.

Thanks

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I Tandi,

The best way to learn how to use WordPress is to either go to the WordPress.org website and read the help topics and forums or got to YouTube and search for videos that match what you are looking for.

I can help you through a one-on-one tutorial if you'd like. A little hand holding in the beginning is usually all you need to get up and running.

Let me know how I can help.

Samantha

@t Once Communications

RichSingleMomma.com

Once you start doing things you'll see that it's quite easy. Just play around with things. You can always undo them. Just don't change any file names on your server. That's a big no no.

Are you using a free theme or did you have one done for you?

My husband taught me how to use wordpress.org...He transfers from blogger to wordpress for free as a business (he gets paid from commission off the hosting sales, instead of being paid by the customer), so he knows his stuff. You can find him at http://christiatech.com and I'm sure he can answer your questions..sorry I can't be of more help myself.

I find that I often can get help by googling what I am looking for and reading articles.

Just found this link with video tutorials hopefully this will help!!

http://www.thepixelboutique.com/category/video-tutorials/wordpress-...

I learned just by googling stuff a LOT! Also the videos that Laura posted look helpful. The Pixel Boutique is one of the blog designers listed on my Momcomm blog design page-- she knows her stuff!

Activated plugins will show up in "installed plugins" on the left sidebar. If it's a plugin with configuration options, the name of the plugin will be under Settings. Hope that helps!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

12/26/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service