You're sitting there staring at the plain piece of paper.  It's staring right back at you. Pen in hand (because you've convinced yourself you can't be creative with the computer) - poised - ready, waiting for that first word. But it doesn't come!

Bet we can all relate to that feeling.  I don't know about everyone else - but there are certain things which I know, work for me.

First, I just write down random words relating to the topic.  If it's a poem - I'll just pick words which rhyme (I write for kids) so the words don't have to be too complicated.

Numbers.  Wonderful invention.  I write the numbers 1 through 10 down my page.  Then an idea next to each number which relates to my chosen topic.  THAT's it.  It gets me started.  Once you have your 10 points - you can start expanding.  Guess it's a bit like oil painting.  You need to do what's called a "wash" on the white canvas so you're not faced with a blank wall.

Years ago, I wrote a poem - I'd love to share with you all - here goes:

An ant tripped and fell

As he walked across my screen -

He paused for a moment

And then I heard him scream.

He stamped his little feet

Up and down on every word -

Then slowly stopped and stared at me

And this is what I heard:

"You typed them there on purpose,

You didn't care a bit,

Not even an apos-tro-phe

Upon which I could sit.

No commas,

Not one full stop

To rest my weary head" -

And then he paused to catch his breath,

I typed

But he was ..... dead!

I recall clearly when I wrote this and for whom.  It was at a time I was working as a freelance writer for the Reserve Bank of Australia and they'd asked for something.  So I gave them this.  

PS I do love ants - and animals - but you know how it is as a writer - the word's just had to rhyme! Sorry! 

Jacqui Taub

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Heather, I think this is really funny! And sounds like the sort of thing I loved as a kid. I don't know if anyone here read Dennis Lee's Alligator Pie, I think it's Canadian, but it reminds me of that. Love it, Heather!

Peryl
Thank you so much Peryl! Like I said, I wrote it years ago. I have a few others like this, and I don't really know why I gave up on it. Lack of confidence? Sick of rejection? I really need to get back on that horse!

RSS

12/22/14 DAILY BLOG PROMPT

A SPECIAL GREETING FROM FRAN DRESCHER

MOM BLOGGERS FOR SOCIAL GOOD

Mom Bloggers for Social Good is a global coalition of 2000+ mom bloggers who currently span over twenty countries and who care about spreading the good news about the amazing work non-profit organizations and NGOs are doing around the world.  Want to make a difference? Please join us!

Toxic Free Blog - by Brittany Glynn

Brittany is a director of the Toxic Free Foundation and created the first ever Toxic Free Certification Program.  Weekly, Brittany publishes the Toxic Free Blog and provides coaching to over 10,000 families in the United States alone.  She is the author of a Toxic Free educational series and co-author of several Toxic Free learning programs. Brittany is also an award winning author. 

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service