You're sitting there staring at the plain piece of paper.  It's staring right back at you. Pen in hand (because you've convinced yourself you can't be creative with the computer) - poised - ready, waiting for that first word. But it doesn't come!

Bet we can all relate to that feeling.  I don't know about everyone else - but there are certain things which I know, work for me.

First, I just write down random words relating to the topic.  If it's a poem - I'll just pick words which rhyme (I write for kids) so the words don't have to be too complicated.

Numbers.  Wonderful invention.  I write the numbers 1 through 10 down my page.  Then an idea next to each number which relates to my chosen topic.  THAT's it.  It gets me started.  Once you have your 10 points - you can start expanding.  Guess it's a bit like oil painting.  You need to do what's called a "wash" on the white canvas so you're not faced with a blank wall.

Years ago, I wrote a poem - I'd love to share with you all - here goes:

An ant tripped and fell

As he walked across my screen -

He paused for a moment

And then I heard him scream.

He stamped his little feet

Up and down on every word -

Then slowly stopped and stared at me

And this is what I heard:

"You typed them there on purpose,

You didn't care a bit,

Not even an apos-tro-phe

Upon which I could sit.

No commas,

Not one full stop

To rest my weary head" -

And then he paused to catch his breath,

I typed

But he was ..... dead!

I recall clearly when I wrote this and for whom.  It was at a time I was working as a freelance writer for the Reserve Bank of Australia and they'd asked for something.  So I gave them this.  

PS I do love ants - and animals - but you know how it is as a writer - the word's just had to rhyme! Sorry! 

Jacqui Taub

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much Peryl! Like I said, I wrote it years ago. I have a few others like this, and I don't really know why I gave up on it. Lack of confidence? Sick of rejection? I really need to get back on that horse!
Thank you for the great tips! I'm a huge fan of lists, so I really like the list tip. And I love your poem too. I wrote a children's picture book, and when I couldn't take the rejections anymore, I started writing poems and fiction for children's magazines (more rejections!). I've taken a few years off, and now I'm trying to get my motivation back to try again. I've never gotten anything published, and although it's a bit intimidating being a part of this group, it's also encouraging. Plus, I learn great ideas from members like you! Thanks!

Heather

http://militaryspouserollercoasterride.blogspot.com/

RSS

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service