I've been finding myself in an odd predicament lately. I taught CCD (aka PSR) for a couple of years, mostly for the Confirmation class at my church when I lived in NY. I had no problem discussing God, the Church, and Catholic values. But now my daughter, who is 4, is asking questions about God and Church, and I find myself dumbfounded trying to explain it to her. Most days, I know I do okay and God only cares that I'm trying.

I'm looking for tips on how to introduce tough concepts like the Trinity, Communion, and "how" Church works to my toddlers. Advice welcome!

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

When I was teaching my first child I used a series called "Image of God". It was really sweet full of stories and crafts about many Catholic/religion topics. I only used the workbook for the first, after that we used the craft patterns and the stories from the teachers book only. I also love and still use the "Art for Young Catholics" put out by Seton (I think it is 1st grade). We always enjoy the craft that follows the liturgical year and it starts lots of conversation about many topics. I bought that book 9 years ago and we still use it. HTH-Nancy

PS-I hate that there is no spell check, please be kind LOL!
Great suggestion. I'll be sure to check it out and see what I can find that may be helpful to my toddlers. My 4 yo is so full of questions and it cracks me up that she calls parishoners "customers."
I teach this age group for CCD. It's important to put everything at their level, no matter what. Once they have the basics, you can always expand on it later.

One of the things that works best for me is to associate just about everything with a Bible story. Example, for prayer, I use Hannah and how God answered her prayer for a baby. Then we discuss how sometimes we think God hasn't answered our prayer, but her really has in his way.

Trinity, I use the shamrock and St. Patrick. They really seem to relate. Honestly, for my kids, I tell them church is like their extended family. Which, it is once they're Baptized. That it's God's house and a place for us to meet and talk to him. Respect. We also take a "field trip" to church so that they can see everything and understand it better, which is something they can't do during mass.

Amazing Grace creates some amazing games and I post them in my Yahoo Groups. I create too, but not as much as her!! These games are a great way to help teach kids and review all these concepts.

HI Angela,

We homeschool our kids (all five) and I have three who are about your daughter's age (ages 6, 5, and 3)....I have some things I do with them on my blog:  Raising {& Teaching} Little Saints and if you look at my blog and click on the Tab "Lovely Blogs" you will find other Catholic Homeschoolers who have tons of great ideas that will be useful to you.  In addition I have tons of Father Laux's little Catholic books to use when I'm "stuck" or to introduce a concept.  I hope this helps!

Blessings,

Erika

RSS

Be a Part of Something Special for Social Good

We are putting together one of the largest projects on behalf of the world's poorest mothers, newborns, and children and need your help. JOIN OUR PRIVATE GROUP to learn more and to get involved.

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service