I've been blogging for three months now and I'm really loving it. I mostly blog about natural parenting, natural childbirth - you know, super crunchy stuff. :-)

My question is: How does "funny" fit in with a niche blog? I think I could be funny if I was talking about my everyday life, but it's tough to be funny when you are mostly posting informational stuff.

Any tips? Funny doesn't come easy to me, but I think it's essential for a successful mommy blog!

http://www.momma-molly.com

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Read this funny blog. It is a niche blog. The subject matter is not funny. In fact, she is very often quite enraged, but she is a professional writer with wit so her delivery is funny. http://www.freerangekids.com
My other tip would be to practice BEING funny. Cultivate wit by changing your perspective. Try looking at your subject through a different lens, from an odd perspective. For example if your friend says, "My cousin is going to interview Barack Obama", you say "Wow! Do you think she'll get to kiss him?" Twitter is a great place to practice being witty because you have to come up with short zingers. And as I-forget-who said, "Brevity is the soul of wit."
Thanks, Angeline. Sometimes I can be funny, but it doesn't come easily. I feel like I have to think about it too much!
I'd say don't bother being funny if you aren't "feelin' it". You probably have a different communication style. Embrace your strengths. Your blog will be fantastic if it let's your best features shine. Maybe funny shines through for other people because that is their communication style. It doesn't have be to yours.
Hi Molly!

I read your blog and I think you are already funny. Even your commentary about the shoes was funny and very relatable. I thought your blog was a great combination of useful information and personal stories and comments with a lot of "funny" mixed in. I think you have a great "voice" and I liked the way you tell your "stories". I am certainly no authority on funny. I like to write about things my kids do and I try to always highlight the humorous part, however my blog has no useful information at all, none, nada, zip ... and I struggle with the voice that is needed to really get to know me. One of my favorite blogs is crazysuburbanmom.com. She is VERY funny which I love, but sometimes her posts are informative, or touching or unexpectantly sweet. I think funny gets a little easier as kids get bigger because the bigger they get the "funnier" your everyday life becomes.
Thanks, Stacy!

I appreciate your thoughts, it's so hard to look at your own writing critically. You know?

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog!

Molly
Hi Molly,

I agree, I read your blog and it is funny. Your sense of humor shines through at just the right spots. If you have to "try" to be funny it will usually backfire on you. I have to be careful because my sense of humor can get out of control sometimes, so I rein it in often. There's a huge difference between sarcasm and humor, a line I find myself crossing sometimes.

I think you got it...whatever "it" is, so keep doin what you're doin and it will happen for you. I always try to remember something I learned a long time ago in a Franklin Covey workshop...everyday, you need to sharpen your tools. The most important tool you have is your brain and your natural given talent. So remember, keep it sharpened.

Good Luck,
Laurie Sullivan
Thanks so much, Laurie! That is so encouraging!

Now I'm off to check out your blog. :-)

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service