My husband and I are long-time vegetarians raising our son the same. when he was first on solids it was easy to think of things to feed him- pureed vegetables and soft tofu! Now that he's 18 months and getting picky I feel like he lives on veggie dogs and Morningstar Chick Patties. I can't get him to touch an actual vegetable and he shuns almost all fresh fruits. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves?

Tags: feeding, issues, vegetarian

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

I think most kids go through that picky phase. The only thing I did was just keep trying different things until I found something he liked.

Also, if I told him he couldn't have something or only served myself a certain food it was a sure way to make him want to eat it. Go figure. LOL
I arranged my kiddos veggies into some sort of smiley face or picture. Seemed to always get there interest. Or I would actually build something out of the veggies. Like a boat or train etc.
My daughter will eat all the fruit I place in front of her and macaroni and cheese. I think a lot of kids go though only wanting to eat certain foods, whether they are vegetarian or not.

Disclaimer: We aren't actually vegetarian at my house, but I am striving to cut out meat due to rising prices and a desire to be healthier in general. Besides that, my daughter hasn't really taken to any meat anyway.
I don't have a toddler yet but my best friend's daughter is 15months and she feeds her all sorts of stuff with no tricks. Here's some of the things her daughter enjoys - Chickpeas with tomato sauce, beans in tomato sauce, cold pasta with EFA oils and lemon juice, pita and hummus, whole grain bread with nut butters, sweet potato burritos, quinoa with butternut squash...

Oh my this list is getting long.haha!

Hope it helps!

maddy
I realize how old this question is, but perhaps someone will still benefit from this. I make something I call un-meatballs, they are a combination of veggies, breadcrumbs, some sort of sauce for flavor, and either potatoes or cream cheese as a binder. The kids love them. Also I've found they will eat almost any veggie in soup form.
My favorite un-meatballs
http://mysocalledmommyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/chipotle-sweet-pota...
And the kids favorite...
http://mysocalledmommyblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/roasted-eggplant-un...
Hope that helps. :)
Hi Natalie,

I have three kids ranging from 10 yrs to 15 mos. all vegetarian and super eaters. One thing all my kids love and their friends are smoothies. One of our favorites is oranges, mangos, frozen banana and collard greens. YUM!!

Good luck and let me know if you need any more ideas.

Jessica

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service