Hi!  I thought I'd throw a question out there because it's something I'm really struggling with: When do you find time to write?  I'm a stay-at-home mom so you'd think I'd be able to find time but it's very difficult.  I have tried to write during nap times but that has been harder this summer with everyone home.  I've tried at night when the kids are in bed but that's the only time that I get alone with my husband.  When do you write?

Tags: moms, time, writing

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

well being a stay at home means you wont be able to find the time dear...
well for now i get the most done during nap times... there are those occasional days that I do work late at night...but its like you say..that is the only alone time we get with the hubby.... so yea you sorta manage it I guess

Unless there is a said deadline,,,I tell myself to not pressure to get it done sooner and that I am no super woman..I only can do what I can given the circumstances..coz I mean there is no dinner if I dont cook...
I struggle with this all the time and have never found a perfect routine. We home school, so unless I'm driving them to outside lessons and activities, my boys are home all the time.

However, I will tell you about one amazing discovery I made recently: the public library! I have one that is only minutes from my house. It's cool and quiet. Ours has free wifi and electrical outlets galore, which is nice for blogging. It's free. I don't even have to buy coffee.

I ask my Mom or husband to watch my boys at home for an hour or two. I sneak it in around everyone's schedules. If you are used to trying to concentrate at home, you would be amazed at what you can do in a short period of time under such ideal conditions. Then, you can beeline home to the other part of your life.
So glad you started this thread. This is such a big topic for me. I think I've realized (the hard way) that summer is not the time to write seriously on a manuscript, even though I *feel* like my schedule is more free. Next summer, I'll do brainstorming and revisions instead.

Like @Annie Peters, I homeschool, as well. All four in the upper grades, though one is attending college this year. I've tried lots of things: writing in the afternoons, late at night, early in the morning. I agree with Annie about the library. Mine is a three-minute walk away, and helps me focus.

Basically, the biggest thing I've learned is that #1: I need to make myself write every day, even if it's just for a few minutes, and #2: I need to set a timer and do nothing else for the time I set (usually about 30-60 minutes). I found a great (and simple) technique for this online: http://bit.ly/cfniP6
I'm so glad you commented on the summer issue! I've been feeling a bit guilty because I've gotten less done than I planned because summer should have more free time. It doesn't. I don't want to miss out on fun with my boys to write!

I also think you have a point about simply making it a priority to have a few minutes to write each day. I have the hardest time with this, but, in truth, the world really isn't going to stop turning if I take a little time to write. And it's not going to get done otherwise.

Re: writing at night, I would caution that it will eventually come back to haunt you. First off, I don't write as well at night and feel like I need to go over everything in the morning. (For blogging, that's not convenient. For other creative writing projects, it's not that much of a problem.) Worse yet, after a couple of nights of less sleep, I'm not functioning as well during the day. Then, I put writing aside for a while because it's "not working."
Thank you all so much for your thoughts! It's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this during the summer months. I like the library idea - I have little ones so if I can work it around nap schedules that might work. Let's see what my husband says though! :-)
I will try to set aside some time each day as suggested...
If there are some teens in your area, they could come in for an hour or two during naptime. If you can find homeschooled teens, there's more flexibility on times.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a three year old and a ten month old. Luckily, I've gotten them both to take an afternoon nap at the same time. During that hour and a half, I do most of my writing research and plan out my article/post. At night, I take an hour or so to actually write what I need to write. Then I spend an hour with DH -if he isn't busy surfing ebay by then!

Good luck! And thanks for asking this question, I got a lot out of the responses as well!
I got a lot out of it too! Looking forward to trying all the suggestions.

Tina M. Zucker said:
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a three year old and a ten month old. Luckily, I've gotten them both to take an afternoon nap at the same time. During that hour and a half, I do most of my writing research and plan out my article/post. At night, I take an hour or so to actually write what I need to write. Then I spend an hour with DH -if he isn't busy surfing ebay by then!

Good luck! And thanks for asking this question, I got a lot out of the responses as well!

RSS

Advertisement

MARKETPLACE

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to Us

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service