While we all have different reasons for choosing to blog (some want to sell products, others want to offer resources) all our goals hinge on one important factor—blog traffic. Without readers and views, it’s difficult to reach the various goals we set for ourselves as bloggers. Luckily, there are many ways to increase blog traffic. Below are some ideas to help you get started!
1. Promote your blog on your social channels. Market your blog on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and your other social media pages. You can automate content sharing by linking your social channels to your blog. This will automatically send updates to your pages when a new blog is posted. (If you do decide to link your accounts, test out the functionality to see how those posts look across channels so you can optimize your messaging by platform.)
2. Incorporate an email subscriber list. An email subscriber list is a simple way to follow-up with readers about new information. This will automatically send an email to all subscribers who sign up on your page when you post a new blog, helping you reach out to and retain those individuals who have already shown interest in your page. The article Why You Should Start Building Your Email List Right Away gives insight into the importance of email marketing.
Tip: Don’t be afraid to promote past posts. Although it may not be new content, if you have a relevant post (for example: last year’s Halloween Cookies Recipe) that is timely, don’t shy away from promoting the post. Just make sure you’re including new content as well to keep readers engaged.
3. Reach out to your personal email contacts. A great way to engage those who may not be following your blog, but have a direct connection to you, is to send an email blast to your contacts list. Include your blog headline, a short blurb about the content and a link to your blog. Keep these emails short, sweet and to the point, see the example below.
4. Join a blogging network. Joining blogging networks, like Mom Bloggers Club, can help give you a platform to find other bloggers who are interested in similar topics and create a resource for driving traffic to your site. Virtually interact with those in the network to connect and create common ground. These connections can be leveraged to help you collaborate on topics and to cross-promote with bloggers who share your interests, which ultimately helps generate traffic to your site (and theirs!).
5. Post frequently. Providing regular, fresh content on your site is an important factor in attracting attention from search engines. However, it is important to post content that is in line with the readers you want to attract. Many popular bloggers post on the same day each week, so readers know when to expect new content, helping them fall into the habit of checking your blog weekly for new posts. If you’re not sure how often you should blog, check out Business Blog Schedule: Best Time to Blog.
6. Respond to comments. Interaction is key when it comes to blogging. Many people use blogs as a means to ask questions and interact with writers for a more personal experience. Responding to comments and questions on your blog will create connections that will keep bloggers coming back time and time again.
7. Comment on blogs with similar content. Engage in genuine interactions with other bloggers who post similar content. This will place your name and blog in front of the audience you’re trying to reach. Be mindful that you are adding to the conversation and not posting spam. See the examples below.
Genuine Comment: Hi Ruby, I really enjoyed your post about travel tips! I find myself on a plane frequently and have found that glasses cases make great storage containers for loose chargers and headphones.
Spam Comment: Check out my new blog www.spam.com!
8. Reach out to bloggers who have shown interest. Another way to network is to personally reach out to others who have shown an interest in your blog or topics of interest. Invite these individuals to engage with your readers by providing a guest post, or volunteer/accept invitations to be a guest bloggers on others’ sites. Guest blogging is a fantastic way to cross-promote your content with fresh audiences.
9. SEO is key. It’s important to have SEO (search engine optimization) friendly content so your blog scores higher in search engines. Read 5 Simple Ways to Improve Your SEO Today to learn more about how you can use SEO to your advantage and drive traffic to your site.
10. Include headlines that pop. Think about what makes you want to read a story, article or blog. It’s usually the headline. Take the time to make sure your headlines are catchy and motivate the reader to dive into your post. You can go back and revamp your past headlines to help create a larger pull and up your readership.
Do you have any tips or tricks about how to drive blog traffic? Share your advice in the comments below!