Is pregnancy acne driving you crazy? Many women who have been blessed with blemish free skin suffer from bouts of acne during pregnancy, due to raging hormones. In fact, acne during pregnancy is very common and in some cases can be severe too.
The main reason behind acne during pregnancy as mentioned is the increased hormone levels, especially in the first trimester. This imbalance in hormone levels tends to increase the skin’s production of oils, which in turn leads to an acne breakout.
Acne can be a nightmare in itself, and treating acne while pregnant can be all the more tricky. The use of OTC acne treatments has its share of side effects. Doctors claim that some of them can be so strong that its use can lead to birth defects.
However, that does not mean that you have to deal with the stigma of having acne ridden skin through your pregnancy. Here are a few simple ways of treating acne while pregnant. These remedies are simple, affordable and highly effective.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV is one of the most tried and tested remedies to treat acne during pregnancy, after or even before. Use a cotton ball to soak up some unfiltered cider vinegar. Remember to mix one part of ACV with three parts of water. Dab the cotton ball on your skin. ACV acts as a natural toner and absorbs all the excessive oil, leaving your skin soft, supple and acne free in less than a fortnight!
- Aloe Vera: This is yet another potent remedy that comes to the rescue in treating myriad skin conditions. It can also be used to treat acne during pregnancy as it has no side effects whatsoever. While you can certainly buy aloe gel from the pharma, we suggest the use of pure and fresh aloe. Grow an aloe vera plant and hope and use the sap of the leaf. Apply it evenly on the affected areas for quick relief from acne.
- Baking Soda: If you are looking for a remedy that has no side effects yet works like a charm, try baking soda. Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of water. Apply this paste on the acne affected area. Let it dry before you wash off. The baking soda will dry up the oil in your skin and promote healing. You will begin to see results in no time!
- Essential Oils: Essential oils have a soothing effect on the mind and body. Oils such as lavender and tea tree oil helps in reducing acne from the very first application. Dilute the essential oil in a base oil such as grape seed and apply on the affected area. Wash off the following morning!
- Lemon and Limes: Apply the juices of lime or lemon to your skin if you are suffering from persistent acne breakouts. This will help unclog the pores and exfoliate your skin naturally. The alpha-hydroxy acid found in these citrus fruits also have astringent and anti-bacterial properties. All you need to do extract the juice of a lemon or lime and apply to the spots. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and wash off with cold water. The results will leave you pleasantly surprised!
- Multani Mitti or Fuller Earth: Multani mitti is natural and refreshing! What’s more? It is inexpensive and effective in treating pregnancy acne breakouts. Take a cup of multani mitti and add a few drops of rose water to it. Make a fine paste and apply evenly on your skin. You can use this on your face, neck and hands. After it has dried, wash it off with tepid warm water. Repeat at least 2-3 times a week. This will bring down the inflammation and help in healing your skin naturally.
- Honey: We all know that honey is a natural humectant. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties and is very soothing when applied to the skin. Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry. Next, apply pure honey to the affected area and let it stay for half an hour before you rinse again with warm water. Do this diligently for a week or two and you will see a remarkable change.
- Oatmeal: This is yet another effective yet inexpensive remedy that does wonders in not just treating but also keeping acne at bay. Oatmeal absorbs the excess oil from the skin and acne affected area. It also helps in exfoliating and cleansing the skin. Mix half a teaspoon of honey in a cup of oatmeal. Use this mixture like a face scrub. Wash off with warm water. Repeat daily for best results.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is very soothing to the skin and is easily absorbed by the skin. Since it has antibacterial and antifungal properties, it helps in treating acne naturally. Use virgin coconut oil for best results. Apply a thin coat of the oil before you head to bed and wash off in the morning.
These simple remedies are safe to try when you are pregnant and have no side effects whatsoever. Try them, to believe it!