Your logo is what sets your blog apart from competitors in your niche; it’s everything from your stamp of approval to your calling card for your blog. With all that pressure, it can be hard to know where to start in condensing your blog into one mark that represents all you do. Many bloggers have little to no graphic design training, so often, we have to explore other avenues for creating the perfect logo to represent our blogs.
What Makes a Standout Logo
Keep it simple. Some of the most recognizable logos from the most successful brands in the world are simple logos. In emulating those logos, choose one or two colors, and a design that will look equally distinctive in black or white.
Try using just an image. Many people want to incorporate their blog or company name and tagline into a logo. That is not always the best idea—logos get cluttered quickly. Ideally, a logo should easily adapt across mediums, from advertisements and gear to business cards and photos, and trying to mesh too many ideas into one identifier dilutes its impact.
Many recognizable logos today don’t make any mention of the company’s name, but we bet you can name the brands! Consider creating a logo that works with and without your blog name. It keeps things versatile and iconic.
- Match your blog. Your logo should match your writing style and give the same feeling your blog bring to readers. (If you’re an upbeat blog with an energetic, peppy writing style, think bright colors and bold fonts). You want your logo to convey the style of writing people can expect from your blog.
- Consider size. You may have specific dimensions in mind for the size of the logo displayed on your blog, but keep in mind your logo will also be seen in other sizes and orientations. When considering designs, make sure that it looks good in any size (from big to small) and from various orientations (square, rectangular, portrait or landscape).
Ideas to Get You Started
- Incorporate your initials. Everyone from major brands to bloggers use initials to make their logo, and for good reason—your initials are an extension of you, and that’s a great way to show pride in your work.
- Skip the photography. Photos are difficult to use in a logo, instead opt for geometric shapes or an icon.
- Check out Just Creative’s Logo Design Trends and Inspiration to get you in the frame of mind for creating your logo design.
How to Make Your Vision a Reality
Once you have an idea, the how of creating a logo is your next step. There are several different avenues to explore in making your vision come to life.
- Fiverr – This website offers different creative and design services all starting at $5. You can review the portfolios from literally thousands of vendors and choose a vender that matches your design aesthetic/style to create a logo for your blog/website.
- Online Logo Maker – Allows you to create a logo for free using predetermined art. The upside is your logo will be available in just minutes; the downside is that there are limited options and others may have a similar logo.
- LogoYes – This website gives you the ability to create a logo using stock icons and fonts and view a sample before making a final purchase.
- Local graphic designer. Ask friends, family and other bloggers if they have any contacts in the graphic design field. They may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can create a unique logo for your blog. If you’re concerned about budget, consider reaching out to students at your local college or university. They’re often looking for a chance to expand their portfolio and may give you a great deal!
Don’t be afraid to tweak your logo over time. You may love your new logo, but make sure to check-in every once in awhile to make sure your logo isn’t out of date. You can add small updates to the font and colors to keep up with trends, or create an entirely new look to show the world!
We gave you our tips; now share your blog logo and how you created it in the comments below!