Skin cancer awareness is very important to me. Firstly, I was a cancer registrar for almost 2 years and saw the devastating effects of melanoma, especially in Utah. Utah has the highest incidence of skin cancers because people here are outdoors all year long, and a LOT of these people don't use sunscreen. Secondly, I was a lifeguard for four summers with sunburns + skin tan enough that my olive-skinned self (who was often mistaken for another race) thought I didn't need sunscreen by August. Thirdly, I used to tan in high school and college (SO BAD FOR YOU!!!!! So, so, so bad. STOP NOW!) and as a result, am in constant fear that melanoma will make it's appearance within the next 15 years. Tanning beds make me sick to my stomach. I wish they were illegal, especially for the young & impressionable under 18 years old.
I am so glad the EWG comes out with this sunscreen guide every year. I care a lot more what I slather onto Isla's body rather than what I put on my own-- of course, I just spend ten minutes looking up what chemicals are in the make-up I own, and now am completely horrified. I don't know if I should throw out all my toxic make-up (Laura Mercier... no!!!) or just keep using it until it's out and THEN buy the least toxic make-up possible, and possibly prolong my life by 5-10 years? Anyway, when using sunscreen, it's best to use the least toxic sunscreens available, especially for your kids.
This is a great guide and easy to read, but I thought I'd break it down for you and give you the best and cheapest ways to protect your baby (or yourself!) this summer.
The BEST ways are with clothing-- shirts and hats! (Shirts and hats! Use shirts & hats!) Isla has a hat that blocks UV rays that she ALWAYS wears outside (number 5 below). I've been looking into rash guards for her too (see numbers 2 & 3). Here are some examples of cute UV-blocking swimsuits & hats for your little babes, all under $30:
1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7
Top Sunscreens from the EWG Summer 2012 Sunscreen Guide
"Our top-rated sunscreens contain the minerals zinc or titanium. They are
the right choices for people who want the best UVA protection without
any chemical considered to be a potential hormone disruptor. None of the
products contain oxybenzone or vitamin A, and none are sprayed or
powdered."- EWG 2012 Guide
I picked the cheapest and/or best-rated on Amazon:
1. Adorable Baby SPF 30+ Sunscreen Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, $21.99 for 4.3 oz: 4.8/5 stars on Amazon
2. Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Mineralblock Face stick 50+ SPF, $7.99 for 0.5 oz stick: 3.5/5 stars on Amazon
3. Babyganics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen for Face & Body SPF 50+ Frag..., $12.99 for 6 oz: 3.5/5 stars on Amazon
4. Burt's Bees Baby Bee Sunscreen Stick SPF 30, $9.00 for 0.7 oz stick: No reviews on Amazon yet
5. Coppertone Sensitive Skin Faces Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50, $7.24 for 2 oz: 4.0/5 stars on Amazon
6. Coppertone Kids Pure & Simple Sunscreen SPF 50, $10.50 for 8 oz: 3.6/5 stars on Amazon
7. California Baby Sunblock Stick SPF 30, $14.76 for 0.5 oz: 4.0/5 stars on Amazon
8. Thinkbaby Sunscreen SPF 50+, $22.99 for 3 oz.: 4.5/5 stars on Amazon
9. Jason Natural Mineral based Natural Sunblock SPF 30, $9.78 for 4 oz: 4.7/5 stars on Amazon
10. Loving Natural's Zinc Oxide Sunscreen SPF 30, $21.99 for 5 oz: 3.4/5 stars on Amazon
11. Nature's Gate Aqua Block Sunscreen, Water resistant & fragrance..., $8.92 for 4 oz: 4.3/ 5 stars on Amazon
12. Solbar Shield SPF 50, $12.53 for 4.4 oz: 4.3/5 stars on Amazon
Protecting your little one's skin and yourself from the sun is so important! Important enough, in fact, that I'm going to do this:
Winner #1 will receive Coppertone's Sensitive Skin Faces Sunscreen Lotion + Target's Circo Infant or Toddler Sun & Swim hat in Navy. Winner #2 will receive Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Mineralblock face stick.
1. Leave a comment with your name and blog address
2. Tell me why sun protection is important to you!
The winners will be selected by the random.org number generator.
Contest ends: Sunday June 10, 2012 at 12 a.m. PST. Winners will be notified via this blog post update & email on Monday.