Are there days when you feel like a limp dish rag and you have absolutely no energy to get through the day? Life in general, can knock us for a loop when you factor in constant stress, lack of sleep, and not practicing good nutrition. When we’re out of sync, our bodies act out. We might feel frazzled, terribly fatigued, depressed … even nagged by a throbbing headache that just won’t go away. One of the major mistakes we make is turning to quick-fix remedies like caffeine, sugar, energy drinks, and even narcotics.
Here are some healthier ways to kick up your energy.
- Drink more water. Dehydration can be a cause of fatigue. Our bodies require 6-8 glasses of it a day … not soda, caffeinated or alcoholic beverages.
- The most effective way to recharge our battery is a good night’s rest. It’s important you give yourself time to unwind before you settle down for the evening. Listening to relaxing music, going for a walk, or reading a book before you retire are great ways to detox the mind and calm the body.
- Try not to let life “rattle” you so easily. Let’s face it, there are things we just have no control over like traffic lights, bad drivers and long checkout lines. Instead of becoming frustrated, think of something that brings joy into your life or find some humor in the situation.
- Speaking of humor, give yourself a reason to laugh. There are plenty of short, really funny videos to watch that will tickle your funny bone. Did you know that a hardy belly laugh will relieve tension and stress and leave your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes? It also increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, improving your resistance to disease. It also triggers endorphins, you know, those feel-good chemicals that can temporarily relieve pain. Laughter is healthy and protects your heart as it increases blood flow. So, give yourself a hardy dose of laughter every day.
- Exercise kicks in those happy endorphins that are uplifting and will give you a natural boost of energy. Find a program that works for you. Yoga and Tai chi have been practiced for centuries to not only relax and center you, but give you more energy as well.
- We all know there is that certain time of day when we could really use a nap, especially if you have the kind of job where you’re staring at a computer screen all day and minimal activity is involved. Try changing your focus periodically, plug into an uplifting music channel and boogie along to the music or, take a short stroll outdoors and breathe some fresh air into your lungs.
- Forget the caffeine and grab some dark chocolate as it contains a number of compounds that will naturally stimulate you and make your taste buds sigh “ahhhh.”
- One of the leading energy re-chargers most ignored is meditation. It’s a great source to unwind and will certainly help you let go of the negativity sucking the life out of you.