Picnic season offers many opportunities for some fun in the sun. To protect against food bacteria and possible sickness, it’s important to follow simple food guidelines when preparing and serving dishes. The health experts at Envolve, an integrated healthcare solutions company, are pleased to share a few tips to help you keep your food – and family – safe when enjoying an outdoor meal.
1. Plan Ahead. Thinking beforehand can help you prepare for a fun and safe outdoor dining experience. No running water? Bring wet wipes or hand sanitizer to wash your hands. Worried about leaving a mess? Bring extra trash bags for easy cleanup.
2. Stay Separate. To avoid cross-contamination, make sure to properly organize your food for your picnic. Keep raw meats, poultry, and seafood separate from perishable foods and store in sealed containers or plastic bags. Plates, utensils and table tops should also be kept in a separate basket to ensure cleanliness.
3. Take Temperatures. Keeping food at proper temperatures helps prevent foodborne bacteria to grow. Cold foods should be kept at 40 degrees or below until serving time. A food thermometer is a great tool that will ease worries about whether or not your food is cooked to a safe internal temperature. Never assume your piece of chicken or meat is fully cooked based on appearance!
4. Keep Clean. When preparing food for your picnic, make sure to wash your hands and wipe down surfaces often. Clean the produce by properly washing fresh fruits and vegetables before packing and storing in the cooler.
5. Toss It. Sometimes food is left unattended for a period of time when everyone is enjoying themselves at a picnic. When this happens, a good rule of thumb is to throw away any food that has been was left outside for more than one hour if the temperature is above 90 degrees. Better safe than sorry!
About Envolve, Inc.®
Envolve, Inc.® is a family of health solutions, working together to make healthcare simpler, more effective and more accessible for everyone. As an agent for change in healthcare, Envolve is committed to transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. Envolve unifies medical management, utilization management, specialty pharmacy, PBM, vision, dental, behavioral health management, life and health/wellness management, empowerment and education services, telehealth services, 24/7 nurse advice services, and data, analytics and IT solutions. For more information, please visit our website www.envolvehealth.com or contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.