Next month Hubby and I will celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. Like all marriages, we have had our ups and downs.
Hubby is funny, caring, kind. He is my rock. He taught me what it feels like to be loved. He taught me how a real
marriage works. I love him so much and I tell him everyday. He makes me
laugh and yes he can drive me BANANAS.
My parents divorced when I was seven but kept their on/off relationship
going until I was almost 17. On/Off meant moving from one state to
another and one school to another. I clearly did not know what it meant
to be with someone through the good times and bad.
Don't get me wrong, we've had our share of ups and downs. I think our glue
is humor, patience and kindness. We don't fight dirty. We don't let
the little things matter. We make time each day to just be together.
Sometimes that's not until the very end of the day but it still counts.
Through the good times and bad, I've learned the following:
What are your marriage tips?
- A big, beautiful wedding does NOT equal a big beautiful marriage.
- There will be good times AND bad - that's just the way the universe works.
- Never talk over the bad times with unmarried friends - they will not give you good advice.
- It's not worth it to leave for someone else. A year later there would be the same dirty socks in the corner and
bills on the counter.
- As long as our marriage does not include drug/alcohol/physical/emotional
abuse it is worth the work.