It can be distressing for parents to see their children not feel well and have frequent motion sickness.Children from 5years to 12years are more susceptible to motion sickness.
What is Motion Sickness
Motion sickness is caused by a disturbance of the inner ear where there is a conflict between the vestibular inputs and visual inputs.These conflicting messages are sent to the brain which results in imbalance and thus leads to motion sickness.
Motion sickness can occur in air,sea,bus,car,roller coaster or from playing video games.
Symptoms and Signs
- Pale skin
- Cold sweat
Remedies for Motion Sickness
Useful herbs and medicines
- Always ask the child to look at a distant point,at the horizon or focus his attention somewhere out of the window.
- Have a plastic bag ready.Wiping your child's face with wet towels will also make him feel better.While traveling in air keep the air sickness bag ready for the child.
- If traveling by car,let your child sit in the front seat.This helps him to focus and keep his eye in tune with the motion of the vehicle.If in a bus,choose the middle seat.
- Give your child a pillow or use the head rest to avoid unnecessary head movements.Your child should keep his head as still as far as possible.
- Calm your child.Anxiety can make the problem worse.Tell your child that he is not the only one and he will get over it as he grows a little older.
- Always carry lots of liquids while traveling.Frequent vomiting can cause dehydration in children.
- Give your child small sips of water or electrolytes if he's vomiting.
- Motion sickness can get worse if your child is on empty or full stomach.Avoid giving big or greasy meals to your child before travel.It is a good idea to have a light snack before the motion.
- Avoid drinking and eating during short trips.
- Make frequent stops.Take short breaks when the child starts complaining about feeling sick.
- If you are flying,request for a seat near the airplane wing.This helps to reduce the turbulence.
- Try covering the windows as bright sun can make nausea worse.
- Fresh air can also help prevent nausea.Try and open the windows whenever possible.
Before starting any therapy make sure you consult a health care professional or doctor about the exact dosage and method of treatment.