BUDGET is the first thing you need. Mint.com is good to keep track of your accounts. This allows you to set up Goals and a Budget. You may also use Quicken. You need to know how much money you bring home and all your expenses. It might surprise you how much you are spending or where some of the money you spent has gone.
Online Bill Pay helps keep things in order. Ebills can be sent right to your email. You can access Online Bill Pay from any computer so you can still pay bills while on vacation. You will also save a bit on postage. You won't have to wait for bills in the mail and you will get them faster. Check with your Bank for Free Bill Pay.
People need to be aware of their spending habits. Think about what things you could go without. Maybe you don't need all those Magazine Subscriptions or maybe you have a Gym Membership you never use.
How long have you had your home? You might qualify to Refinance at a Lower Interest Rate and Reduce you Mortgage Payment. It's possible that the value of you home has decreased. You should contact the PVA (Property Value Administration) and request a reassessment, this may reduce you Property Tax Payment. Also shop around for nsurance Rates.
High Interest Rate Credit Cards, you can call them and negotiate a Lower Interest Rate. If you have Multiple Credit Cards you should Consolidate them to 1 Card with One Payment. Another option if you have Home Equity is to take out a Home Equity Loan to Consolidate those Debts. CLOSE and CUT those Credit Cards after consolidation.
Things you can do in your home:
• If you adjust your thermostat in your home by just a few degrees can make a big difference.
• Unplug things when you are not using them to stop all current flow from the outlet.
• Change your Air Filters at least every 2 months so it doesn't have to work extra hard to go through a dirty filter.
• Call your Utility Company and find out if they offer Cost Savings Programs.
• If it is nice outside Open the Windows in your house.
• Turn Off Lights and TV when you leave a room.
• Use Compact Florescent Light Bulbs.
Change you Home Phone Line to MagicJack which only costs $20 a YEAR. Like movies get Netflix for $9 a month this includes unlimited DVD's and Instant Online viewing of Movies. You can view from your computer or a Netfilx ready device such as Wii, XBox, Roku Player, etc. They do also have a $4.95 package that isn't unlimited. I also like Dish Network because they have a Family Package that is only $20 and extra $4 for locals.
Do you have a cell phone that you just use occasionally or for emergency? Switch to prepaid it is much cheaper. AT&T has a plan that you can pay $25 every 3 months which comes out to about $8 a month.You can add Text for $5 and get 200 Text if you want a little more. Still much cheaper than a monthly plan.
• Look for Clearance Items. I bought a new Sofa and Desk on Clearance and saved big.
• Check Ebay sometimes you can find just what you want new or used. Ebay is also good if you have some nice items you want to sell.
• You can almost always find Coupon Codes online to use at most Online Stores so give it a Google Search.
• I also like HP.com, you can save so much buying a computer direct.
• 99c Store well they have Cleaners for your Home and SoftSoap Hand Soap, how much have you saved just on those products right there?
When you buy new things you should also remove old things from your home. Clutter doesn't make anyone happy. Goodwill items, have books donate them to the Public Library. Make sure to get a receipt because you can Tax Deduction Donations. At the end of the year take your List of Items you made that should be attached to your Donation Receipt and go to ItsDeductible.com. Here you can input all your items and the condition and it will give you a value. You then print this out and keep it with your Taxes.
Cooking at home always will save you money. Eating out at Fast Food or Restaurants can really add up. Limit your number of days a month to eat out. Buy less Snack and Soda at the store. Start drinking more water it is better for you anyway. Always Watch the Register mistakes at check out are Very Common and you don't want to Over Pay.
Do you have expensive habits like Smoking or Starbucks? This could really make a difference in you pocket. There are some good ideas here but that isn't all your options, sit down make your own list and take control.