Every year starting in late October I make this apple cider. It’s so very simple and effortless, but I still receive numerous compliments and requests for the recipe.
- 5 cups of apple cider
- 5 cups of cranberry juice
- 4 oranges, sliced and sectioned
- 1/2 cup brown sugar to taste
- 2 t whole allspice (whole preferred but ground is ok)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 t cloves, whole
- Place all of the spices in a coffee filter and tie with a string (make sure this is not a colored string).
- Stir briefly.
- Add the filter and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Add the oranges and cook on low for an additional 1-2 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to warm, remove the filter, stir, and add additional sugar, if needed.
- Serve warm, and go a-wassailing (without the alcohol!).