Its always good to have a mama friend keep you up to speed with things such as… the day of the week. Here we are again, the day before DECEMBER 1st and once again, I forgot to make an Advent Calendar/Tree/Box… anything. Thankfully, I had my daily text chat with my friend T who was wrapping her kiddos advent gifts while we chatted! I loved the reminder but don’t love that I have less than 24 hours to put my thoughts together. That’s when I visited my friend Martha (online) and she gave me this great idea:
Advent Ornament Tree
Kids undecorate the tree during the month and the ornaments are little gifts in ribbon pouches, one to open each day starting December 1.
Martha Stewart’s ‘HOW TO’ on making the ornaments can be found here but…
This is how I plan to create the ornaments (without a sewing machine)
1. Purchase these items at your local Dollar Store:
- Craft paper (or wrapping paper)
- Your choice of ribbon
- 24 small (fun) items (day 25 is Christmas!)
$1.00 Gift Ideas for Kids:
2. With supplies at home, pour a glass of wine. (Pour one for me too, I’ll be drinking hot tea)
3. Cut 1 piece of craft paper to fit around each gift
4. Wrap the paper around the gift squeezing the top together. Remember the Harvest Hash bags I made last year? They looked like this:
5. Tie a ribbon around the top of the pouch and leave extra ribbon to also tie around a Christmas Tree branch.
6. Write or Print numbers on paper and tie a number on each pouch.
7. Hang gift ornaments on tree branches (Note: I saw mini Christmas Trees outside of our local grocery store today- maybe $20).
That’s it! Our kids will take turns opening one gift each day and as per my friend T’s suggestion, I’ll have a few days where both of them will open a gift (like Day 1). This should be a fun night putting our Advent Tree together and definitely worth it when the boys see it in the morning! I’ll post a pic when I’m done ‘crafting’ ; )