As we sit surrounded by a sea of clothing and sporting equipment, in preparation for our boys’ individual camp experiences, we are flooded with mixed emotions. Like you, our to-do lists “runneth” over. Add to the mix: graduation and birthday parties, teacher gifts, spring sports that just won’t quit and our careers of course! In search of easing our anxiety (yes we are too have the occasional mommy melt down) we turned to organizational expert and regular guest on Oprah Winfrey, Peter Walsh. Terry and I had the pleasure of conducting a phone interview with the witty Aussie who revealed that organization is an attitude. By that Peter means that a workspace, for instance, and the job that you do matters and deserves to be organized and productive.
Peter’s Top Four Tips for Moms with Harried Lives
- Embrace the idea of working from home. Designate an area: kitchen table that can be set-up/removed daily, transform a closet or purchase a simple desk.
- Create zones in your home and workspace.
Use vertical space and set limits on how much paperwork lives in your surroundings!
- Train your kids. Set up a system for them where they come into the house. Hang hooks for their backpacks and jackets at their height. Teach them to empty their bags and tack notices to a corkboard for you to check.
- Do the “Trash Bag Tango.” Have the whole clan pitch in for ten minutes a day and fill one “toss” and one “donate” bag to clear the clutter.
We could have talked to Peter all day and we suspect the accent had a bit to do with it. The advice? Invaluable. Our lives? On the road to declutterville! Watch the complete interview and get more advice on what organizational products to purchase and where here.
Our top blog picks of the week submitted by your fellow Butterfly moms:
- Child Proofing: An ongoing process. If you too have a curious child then you must read whatCaren Begun’s daughter did with the Sharpie she found way out of reach!
- Ideas for Online Work for Stay at Home Moms. Staci Gauny shares her secrets to avoiding scams and gives TEN specific jobs and companies to seek out. A must read!!
Butterfly is busting with resources this week! Don’t miss our June video interviews with Dana Buchman, Fashion Icon, who shares her journey and advice on how to manage it all. Or, our funinterview with Megan Cartwright, Merchandising Manager for Sesame Place (Elmo pops in for a visit too)!
Enjoy it all!
Bradi and Terry
Mothers, Wives and Workers
Follow us on twitter @Butterflymoms
Fan us on Facebook (Nicole Richie is a Fan!)