Mama’s I am a southern girl to my core. I live in the city and while I enjoy city life sometimes I wish we lived on a farm. Maybe we would have some chickens, a few pot belly pigs, ducks, maybe a cow and a goat or two. My daily attire would definitely be my dungarees (jeans and overalls) daily with my hat and rain boots while driving my red1984 Chevy Pickup (extended bed of course). I grew up in Florida (Tallahassee, Midway and Grand Ridge). My granny Lottie Bell taught me a lot as did many of my older relatives and sometimes I just miss hearing all of the southern saying so I wanted to share them today.
1. talmbout~ talking about “She talmbout she didn’t go out last night”
2. da recklar~ in a minute or a short while “I’ll be over there da recklar”
3. sumtee ~something to eat “That baby needs sumtee!”
4. fidnuh ~about to “Y’all fidnuh go to town?”
5. whole heapa ~ a lot of something “That’s a whole heapa greens you got there”
6.nearbout ~almost “I nearbout hit a raccoon the other day”
7.highch~to let something up or raise “Highch up that window cause it’s hot”
8. cacklin’~laughing loud “Yall stop all that cacklin’ so we can hear”
9. dunnit~did it “You already know who dunnit”
10. reckon~ to guess “I reckon she’ll be home for supper”
11. pert near ~ just about “Her pert near done ran over ‘dem roses”
12. pot likker ~ juice from something cooked “Pour me some pot likker over my corn bread”
13. mess ~ a whole lot of something “I got a mess of fish”
14. mess of granddaddies ~ smells bad “You kids smell like a mess of granddaddies”
15. highfalootin~ someone who thinks they are better than others “She gets on my nerves with her highfalootin self”
16. good lil’ piece ~ far in distance “He lives a good lil’ piece up the road”
17. plum tuckered out ~ tired or exhausted “That baby is plum tuckered out”
18. y’ain’t ~ you are not “ I know y’ain’t on that phone”
19. doddlin’ ~being slow “Quit doddlin’ round so we won’t be late”
20. mamanem ~ mama and the rest of the family “How’s ya mamanem doing?”
Mama’s hope it put a smile on your face. Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!
Don’t just live your life, Enjoy it!