This recipe will take a little bit of time to make but it is definitely worth the effort, especially if you are trying to watch bad carbs and need the taste of some comfort food along the lines of mac and cheese.
The first thing you need to do is to prep the squash.
Directions for the squash:
Cut the squash lengthwise
Scoop out the seeds
Lightly grease a baking dish and lay the squash open/flat side down on the dish.
Bake at 375 for approximately 35-4o minutes (until you can pierce the rind and the flesh beneath is soft) Cool a bit until you can handle.
Directions for the cream sauce:
I will never again make a cream sauce doing it the hard way with a roux and milk. Nope, this is much easier, creamier and less fattening.
Directions for the bake:
- Use one bar of low-fat/fat free cream cheese. Soften with about a half cup of milk.
- Mix in about a cup of low fat cheddar cheese. Keep a half cup of cheddar cheese as a topping (You can also use swiss or any other kind of cheese you like, but I love cheddar!)
This squash bake makes a great side dish to any meal and will have you enjoying a creamy cheesey mix that is lower in fat than traditional mac and cheese and will help you get a dose of vegetables as well.
Hope you enjoyed today's recipe! Next week I'm going to be offering up an entire collection of recipes in one book titled Recipes for the Romantic Soul. It'll be a freebie that you can download and I hope you'll enjoy that as well.
Photo Credit: Forest & Kim Starr@en.wikipedia.com
- Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Pick up the squash and with a fork, shred the inside into a mixing bowl (you can even do it directly into the bowl with the cream and cheddar mixture.) The inside should come out in strands that look like spaghetti hence the name of the squash. Use only half the squash. You can keep the other half to be eaten with garlic and oil or even tomato sauce.
- Mix the squash, cream cheese and cheddar mixture. Transfer to the baking dish and cover with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for approximately 35-45 minutes until bubbling hot.