Last week I still had three seedless cucumbers in my crisper from the previous week's Bountiful Basket
. I didn't want them to go to waste, so I started asking for ideas. My friend Angela suggested making a Thai cucumber salad. I went online to search for a recipe and came across several. So I took ideas from all of them and came up with my own recipe based on what I had at home. The salad turned out beautifully. It was fresh, sweet and spicy. This would be a great recipe to take to a potluck or barbecue and it will keep fresh in your fridge for a few days. You can always omit the jalapeno if you don't want the heat. On to the recipe!
Spicy Cucumber Salad
-3 large seedless cucumbers
-1 Tbsp. salt
-3 green onions, chopped
-1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
-1/2 C. cilantro, chopped
-3 Tbsp. sugar
-3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
-1/4 C. peanuts, chopped
1. Peel cucumbers, slice in half then into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Place cucumber slices in a colander, toss with the salt and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Transfer cucumber slices to a large bowl.
3. Add sliced green onions, chopped jalapeno and cilantro to the cucumbers.
4. Whisk together sugar and vinegar. Pour over salad and toss it all together.
5. Serve with chopped peanuts sprinkled over the top.
Alysa is a registered dietitian, certified personal trainer, crafter, mom and wife. Find more inspiration on Alysa's blog Inspired RD. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.