Intense hip pain may restrict a patient from performing simple routine tasks like climbing stairs, walking or merely standing. Generally, such condition can be treated with the help of drugs and physical exercises. However, if hip pain starts affecting patient’s quality of life by deteriorating overall health, then a surgery can prove to be beneficial. Hip repair and hip replacement surgery are the two most common solutions used for treating hip-related problems. Out of it, hip replacement is highly preferred as it ensures long-term outcomes. Hip replacement surgery cost may vary depending on medical care center and patient’s health.
How to Manage New Hip Joint Following Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip joint replacement is a medical procedure which involves replacing the painful hip joint with an artificial joint. There may arise several complications like dislocation of new hip following the completion of hip joint surgery. Therefore, a patient needs to stay careful all the time until they recover fully. The following tips can significantly help in a speedy healing.
- Leg Position - Patients must avoid crossing their legs while sitting, standing or resting. They should also refrain from pulling legs up past their waist. It will considerably minimize the chances of hip dislocation and other problems in newly placed hip joint.
- Bathing or Showering - Patients must keep in mind not to squat or bend while taking a bath or shower. It is not appropriate for the patients to use toilet seats which are too low in height. It can cause them trouble while getting up. Taking the help of a caregiver is a good option for ensuring safety.
- Getting Dressed - Patients should avoid being in a standing position while getting dressed. They should sit comfortably on a chair and ask someone to assist them for few weeks. They must avoid bending too much while putting up socks or shoes. Patients should also be careful while wearing pants or pantyhose. They must carry out these activities at a slower pace to avoid any hip problem.
- Sitting Posture - Patients should not sit at the same place for hours. They must take a walk after small intervals to avoid back pain. Also, they should keep their feet straight and apart from each other. They should sit on a firm platform rather than on soft chairs or sofas to stay away from hip pain. They may take the help of assistive devices such as crutches and walker for support while getting up from a sitting position.
- Tips for Walking - Patients should take small steps while walking. They should walk as slowly as possible on uneven and wet grounds. It will help them in avoiding any serious hip injury. They should consult a physical therapist to learn walking on roads during initial few months.
- Sleeping Position - Patients need to be careful while sleeping, resting or lying in bed. They should never rest on the side where hip replacement surgery is performed. They should keep a pillow in between their legs to keep the hip stable and aligned.
- Riding a Car - Patients should not drive if car’s seats are too low. They should take breaks after every one or two hours to avoid back problem. It is extremely important to seek the permission of respective orthopedic surgeon before indulging in such activities. Generally, surgeons do not allow patients to drive a car or any other vehicle until the time they heal completely.
These simple yet powerful measures can help in a successful recovery following hip replacement surgery. In addition to this, patients must strictly follow all the instructions of respective surgeons to improve their quality of life.